Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DBrigode Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Handle does not grip on stem valve
    I have a 1950's shower set-up, with separate hot and cold valves for the tub and shower.

The stem valve is stripped at the point where the handle connects; I can't find a replacement stem valve that fits the plumbing; and I don't want to completely tear apart the tile behind to rebuild the whole set-up.

Right now I have a vise-grip clamped to the stem valve; it works fine, but perhaps is not the most elegant solution.

Are their simple replacement faucet handles which will firmly grip the stem valve, like the vise grip? Everything I have tried just slips off, and the faucet just leaks.

Thank You

This is California - Save Water!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2008, 03:27 PM
    Take the handle to a plumbing If they can come with a universal one, if not and the handle is not broken, drill a hole and install a screw to grip the stem, good luck.

John
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 2, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Are their simple replacement faucet handles which will firmly grip the stem valve, like the vise grip? Everything I have tried just slips off, and the faucet just leaks.
    You have three choices, 1( remove the stem and washer assembly and take it in to be replaced,**or** John suggested a universal replacement handle, (see image) this image will give you a idea of how they work. Replacement handles are available in chrome handles as well. **or** do as john suggested and drill and tap in your own set screw. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Post photo of the faucet / stem. If we can ID your faucet, we'll tell you what to get and if it is still available.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diverter stem installation - three handle shower & tub faucet [ 4 Answers ]

The house is well over 25 years of age and I have replaced both hot and cold water valves and tub faucet without removal of bath and shower stall tiles - still look good. Purchased a diverter stem (Galtmaster tub and shower models - 1963 to 65). With the old diverter I would turn clockwise to have...

Shower Valve Stem Adapter [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old Symmons shower valuve and recently purchased a new Kohler shower head/handel system. The problem is, the stem valve for the Kohler shower handel doesn't fit onto the old shower valve? I JUST finished a tile surround and am not about to open that wall back up to instal a new shower...

Stuck valve stem [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove the valve stem in the shower (hot water) and I can't get the stem to come out. The piece that has the flat sides (only 2) I believe is supposed to unscrew and it won't budge. I would like to avoid breaking it but it won't budge. What can I try?

Single price pfister stem valve [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Single turn knob for my shower made By Price Pfister. The valve needs replacing. Removing the knob and un-screwing the metal Circular cylinder, I’m left with the stem valve. From the front, It is circular with two tabs, one On top and bottom. With a screw driver from the Back tabs,...

Tub/shower valve stem [ 7 Answers ]

Hello,I will like to know can a tub valve stem get restricted with sediment and block Water flow till you get hardly nothing or just a stream?It has been leaking for Quite a while now and has gotten worser.I already have an existing sediment Build up from galvanized pipes.I been tapping the...

View more questions Search