Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allwin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Can I contribute to Roth IRA?
    I was thinking of opening a ROTH IRA, but was confused about the income requirements for contributing to ROTH IRA.

I got married last year (2007). Both me and my spouse are on F1 VISA status (since Aug 2003). I had to file my 2007 tax return as a non resident alien and hence as "Married filing separately". I know that the cut off income for Married filing separately for contributing to ROTH IRA is $10,000 (we both earn around $20,000). If I understand correctly from other posts in this forum, non-resident aliens become resident aliens for tax purposes after 5 years. If that is the case, I would be able to file as Married filing jointly and hence be able to contribute full $5,000 for both of us to ROTH IRA this year (2008).

Is my understanding correct?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 12, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Your understanding IS correct.

The exempt status granted for the F-1 visa expired for you on 31 December 2007, so you will file as a resident alien in 2008. Your wife can file jointly with you in 2008, so you WILL be able to contribute the full $5,000 into Roth IRAs for yourself and your wife.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

May 12, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Before you invest in any retirement plan, you must learn more about this. If you draw money before you are 59 1/2 you will pay 10% early withdrawal penalty. What happens if you are not in the U.S. at that age? Who will manage it if you are unable to handle your affairs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do wedding contribute to a country's economic growth? [ 1 Answers ]

Please give me the answer..

Can married F1 students contribute to ROTH IRA? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student in US. I am filing the 1040NR-EZ form currently and accordign to the instructions for alien students, my filing status is "single" although I have been married for four years. I wonder whether I can contribute to ROTH IRA before I become a resident alien. My...

Do wedding contribute to a country's economic growth? [ 3 Answers ]

Do wedding contribute to a country's economic growth? Why?

Can I contribute Roth IRA as married F-1? [ 4 Answers ]

I enter US in Dec 2001 as a F-1 student. My F-1 status keeps unchanged till now and I married to a resident alien in 2004. We filed federal tax jointly for 2004 & 2005. I choosed to be treated as resident alien in federal tax. I contributed $4000 in my individual account for 2005 Roth IRA. I heard...

View more questions Search