Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rossww Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Cutting tops off trees/shrubs
    We've got 6 mature evergreens at the front of our house. That's about the extent of my knowledge of their species (someone might have told me they were junipers however I may just have been dreaming). The needles are short and very pointy (sharp). Over the years, I've been trimming the sides but generally allowing them to grow taller.

Now that some of them are 15+feet tall, I think squirrels and/or mice are using them to climb up and somehow making it into our attic. We now hear occasional scratching from above our heads and behind the walls.

My main question is this: Can I shorten them (the trees that is, not the rodents) all by around 2 feet?
    If so, then here's a few more questions to follow:
    -How long will it take to shape the tops as all the branches are pretty much bare up to the last (most extreme) 8 inches or so. In other words, how long will it take for the tops to fill back in?
    -When can I trim them?
    -What are ideal trimming temperatures/weather conditions?
    -Is there any recommended fertilizer for these trees?

If it helps, I live in eastern-central Canada.

Thanks for your help,

Ross
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 18, 2008, 07:34 PM
    Hey Ross, lets first talk about mice and squirrels. Its most likely squirrels and they don't need your bushes to get to your roof so if that is the only reason for cutting, don't bother. I have seen squirrels climb rain down spouts, telephone wires and power lines. Go to a sporting good store that sells hunting gear, buy coyote urine and soak a rag with it. Toss the rag into the attic in the afternoon, no more squirrels. Now if you still want to cut the evergreen you can but they will have a stunted top for quite some time. If you want a more natural look you need to start about 5 feet lower than you want. Reach in a cut out about every 5th branch, move up a foot and cut another every 5th branch and so on.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting down trees [ 1 Answers ]

If there are tree limbs hanging on your house but they are not your trees can you cut them down and not get into trouble?:confused:

Webs on shrubs [ 1 Answers ]

Something is making webs on our shrubs. There are several of these webs, and when I knock them down, they reappear by the next day. I don't think it's bag worms because I've seen those before and these look different. I don't see any bugs or spiders on them. I'm always afraid to put chemicals...

Bought shrubs/trees over internet - how to care for them [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I recently bought Privet Hedges from the internet. The web address for the store is - (Fruit trees, nut trees, shade trees, plants, ground cover, shrubs, rose bushes, hedges and more – Autumn Ridge Nursery) The 100 hedges and 10 trees came in a cardboard package about 5 inches round and...

Is this bug eating my shrubs? [ 5 Answers ]

I have several shrubs and bushes that have been eaten up and I'm not sure what is eating it and how to fight it! The leaves have holes and big chunks missing. The plants are suffering quite a bit. Some of them even turning black in spots! Lately I've come across an earworm so I thought that might...

Juniper Shrubs [ 2 Answers ]

When is the best time to prune Juniper shrubs. Is early spring to late?

View more questions Search