Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    almathor Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 02:21 AM
    Revealing medical information and invasion of privacy
    I work for a well known shop as a licensed cosmotologist. I have many customers that visit regularly and ask for me specifically to cut their hair. I recently suffered a miscarriage and had to be out of work for about a week. While I was gone my manager waited on many of my customers. After I returned to work one customer after another verbally expressed their concern to me about my recent miscarriage. They said they were told by my manager that this was the reason why I was off ill. What can I do about this situation. Not only am I having to deal with my sudden miscarriage but I am now having to deal with the fact my manager has violated my privacy. Please help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 03:22 AM
    Hello a:

There's nothing you can do. What she did was rude, but not illegal. You can ask her not to do it again, if you want to stay. Or you can leave.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2008, 06:15 AM
    I am sure your manager was asked why you were not there. So she told the truth to your customers. I do not think she meant evil by telling - but she could have said that you just needed some personal time and left it at that. When you came back to work, it would have been your decision on whether to share.

Have you talked to your manager and explained how you felt? It would be good for you to talk to her and get those feelings out before it puts a wedge in your working relationship. If you find that this has damaged your work relationship to the point that you feel trust is gone, then only you can decide your next move.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2008, 07:38 AM
    I would take the manager aside and explain that you are disappointed that she revealed such personal info. Most likely she may have thought she was doing you a favor (could have meant bigger tips). But it was still not the right thing to do.

But it was not illegal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Revealing a secret to someone [ 9 Answers ]

OK guys, this is rather an unusual post. I'm 19 and because of one thing I have never allowed myself to be in a relationship or become attached to anyone because this one thing scares me... I have recently met a guy who is 21 and I really like him, we are currently seeing each other, but this is...

HIPAA violation, invasion of privacy, slander, etc. [ 4 Answers ]

At Seton Medical in Daly City, I was treated the most disrespectfully and horribly ever in my life. They didn't listed to anything I said. This was alll after I disclosed me history of drug use, I have beenh clean for over ten years, but they wouldn't believe a word from my after hearing this. They...

Invasion of privacy? [ 2 Answers ]

If anyone is in the legal field maybe you can help. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about INVASION OF PRIVACY. A person has hired a private investorgator on me took all these photos hacked into my email and is now threating me with them. She's saying she's going to send all these privaite...

Invasion of privacy? [ 6 Answers ]

I need to know if installing a web cam in a bar with no notification to the public that it is there constitutes an invasion of privacy? If so, what needs to be done to allow the bar to install said web cam? Thanks,

View more questions Search