Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    will72015 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Gunshot to the Abdomen
    How far could a person run if they were shot in the abomen? And if they did run (which would increase blood flow) how long would it take them to die? Let's say from a .40 caliber handgun.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:38 PM
    What an interesting question? Not planning on getting shot are you? Or, the alternative?

Too many variables to answer accurately. Depending on what vital organs are hit, if an artery is comprimised, if the bullet hit the spine, that would certainly hinder the running.

Too complicated to get a valid accurate answer, sorry!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:44 PM
    There are too many variables here to give you an answer. It depends on the person's height and weight, where the bullet hit in the abdomen. A smaller person would probably not be able to get up let alone run anywhere. A heavier, larger person would probably be able to get up and run but not too far. It also depends on which vital ograns were hit also.

Also the adrenalin factor kicks in. Was the person on drugs such as PCP, meth, coke? That can play a huge factor in a person running away not even realizing what happened. Cops see it all the time.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:47 PM
    It depends on what the bullet hits inside the abdomen. It it nicks the lower aorta, you would go down right away... any other *major artery or vein*, too.. . and bleed to death in no time.

If it hits the spinal cord, you could go down very quickly from paralysis.

If it hits guts and exits cleanly, you could probably run(SLOWLY) pretty far.

If it hits your stomach, can't run(SLOWLY) too far.

If it hits your liver or spleen or kidney... can't run(SLOWLY) too far.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 03:58 PM
    There are too many variables here to give you an answer. It depends on the pernon's height and weight, where the bullet hit in the abdomen. A smaller person would probably not be able to get up let alone run anywhere. A heavier, larger person would probably be able to get up and run but not too far. It also depends on which vital ograns were hit also.
    will72015 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Thanks everybody. And no, I'm not planning on getting shot or the alternative (laughing). I'm writing a novel and want to make sure I have an accurate and realistic incident.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pain in lower left abdomen [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having pains in my lower left abdomen where my ovaries are. When I sit down, walk, have sex, even move wrong. What could cause this?

What causes pain in upper right abdomen? [ 3 Answers ]

What causes pain in the upper right abdomen? I don't have the pain all the time, just sometimes. But when it hurts, it hurts bad. It is worsened when I do physical activity, but can start when just sitting. It also hurts more if I push on spot where hurts. Any help, please? Thanks!

Pains in lower abdomen - Day 17 [ 7 Answers ]

I need a little advice, I have already had 2 children and my partner and I are trying for a 3rd little one - we have been trying for about 3 months now. I have tracked my ovulation and I ovulated about 4 days ago, and this morning I have had some niggling pains in my lower abdomen. Could...

Lower abdomen hurts [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've been on this shot for almost a yar now this past week my lower abdomen has been hurting me and sometimes tightines up!

Pain on my right side of abdomen [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have had pain on my right side for over a year, it sometimes feel like an ovulation pain, I first experienced it when I was pregnant,I noticed the sever pain after sex during pregnancy.I lost the baby after 3month.Now the pain comes quite often sometimes when my bladder is full and I go to...

View more questions Search