Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happy711 Posts: 215, Reputation: 4

Jan 25, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Long nails
    My dog has long nails and we never cut them. We exercise him a lot outside so that helps. But should we buy some tool to cut them ourselves or bring him to Petco or somewhere.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 08:36 PM
    If he is fidgety you definitely want to take him to Petco or somewhere.
    You don't want to hit the vein accidentally clipping too far up.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2008, 09:12 PM
    You can buy dog nail clippers anywhere there are pet supplies. They work quite well for some people on some dogs. Light colored nails where you can see and avoid the quick go best. With black nails, you just have to frequently take off a little. The dog needs to trust you and see you as leader. I often work with the dog in my lap on its back.

I mostly use the Dremel since my kids were generous Christmas 06.

The sanding drum for the dremel tool. I generally use about a medium speed.

Probably the most important tips when using a dremel on dog nails is to wrap long hair (both human and dog) out of the way while working and to always keep the dremel moving. Long hair can get caught around the rotating drum pulling the moving drum into the skin and causing burns/cuts. You need to keep the dremel moving because if you leave it in one spot it will get hot and hurt the dog and they will pull their foot away.

Generally when doing nails I trim the tips off with a regular pair of nail clippers and then use the dremel to finish the job, taking off the rough edges.

Here's a link for a site describing the process
    How to Dremel Dog Nails @ DoberDawn.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My finger nails [ 3 Answers ]

I have been chewing my nails all my life and now I want to grow them long, but they don't seem to grow one bit! CAN YOU HELP ME??

Artificial Nails [ 1 Answers ]

I am totally confused as to what nail product to use to enhance my nails. I recently saw someone sporting gel nails and they looked very natural. This seems to be an expensive procedure and if not done well can result in problems. What differences are there in nail enhancement procedures and...

Artificial Nails [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone tell me what are fiberglass nails? My nails are HORRIBLE. I have a biting issue with them. I am getting my nails done next week and the receptionist asked me what I wanted, I told her that I wasn't sure. So, she said that the tech can do a set of fiberglass nails and that they will...

T-nails [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, Using W2K pro and have a bunch of jpg photos in folders. Now at one time when I open a folder I could see all thumbnails of photos(actual picture) and just scroll through to pick them. But somewhere along the lines aka program change or removal, I no longer see them instead an icon of what...

View more questions Search