Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigjtitan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2007, 11:21 AM
    When to plant monkey grass
    My wife and are want to plant some monkey grass in a bed in front of ou house. When would be the best time to plant the monkey grass. Is it OK to plant during the fall? Also... what are some other plants that are low maitenance but also good for weed control. I don't have a lot of time to weed. Any help is wanted. Thanks.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Monkey Grass Profile(Get Wild and Creative with Monkey Grass - All About Lawns)

Basic Description. This grass-like evergreen perennial grows in clumps of strap-like (1/8" wide) foliage and spreads via underground runners. It is easily divided with a long life span. It can also be planted and developed by seeds.

Growing Conditions. Prefers filtered sun to full shade and full sun in cool winter areas. Monkey grass requires good drainage, and prefers acidic, humus-rich soil. Divide and prune out brownish foliage before new growth begins.

Care and Watering. To keep monkey grass healthy, apply leaf mold in the autumn months. Water as you would any other shrub or plant in your garden. Make sure to keep your monkey grass barely moist in the winter months.
    ---------------------------------------
    The Grass Patch | Austin, Texas
    Things to Plant (September-October)

Bulbs:
    Allium, Amarcrinum, Calla, Crocus, Cooperia, Cyclamen, Daylily, Dietes, Louisiana Iris, Spider Lily, Liriope, Monkey Grass, Mondo Grass, Oxalis, Rain Lily. Purchase Tulip, Crocus, Hyacinth and Daffodil bulbs to pre-chill.

Flowers Plants:

Ajuga, Alpine Aster, Wax Begonia, Butterfly Weed, Candytuft, Cockscomb, Coneflower, Cornflower, Dianthus, Daisy (Shasta, English and Painted), Euroyps, Larksbur, Liatris, Obedient Plant, Salvia (perennial types), Sedum, Stock, Stokes Aster.
    ---------------------------------------
    Here is a fun idea, how about a herb garden...
    Herbs Gardening
    Where to grow herbs ?

Herbs grow well in all sort of situations, from a few culinary herbs planted in a window box to a long-winded wild garden full of teasels, nettles and brambles. Plant according to your personal taste and how you intend to use the herbs.

Create a herb garden

For best results, group herbs by their growing requirements rather than by their use.
    Herbs for damp soil
    Herbs that like damp soil will grow well in a naturally boggy area, you can create one by the edge of a pond and you will need to keep the water levels in the pond in dry summers.
    Herbs for a vegtable patch
    Leafy herbs such as chervil, coriander, summer savory and dill all enjoy the slightly richer soil normally found in a vegetable garden.
    Herbs in containers
    Many herbs grow well in containers, which is a good way of providing suitable conditions if your soil is not ideal. Use any container with drainage holes and a minimun depth of about 25-30cm. Fill broken crocks at the bottom layer of the container and then fill it with general purpose potting compost. Check moisture levels at least once a day in sunny weather and water if necessary.
    ------
    Herbs Garden planting tip

Here are some of the Herb garden planting tips.

Space out the plants, placing them exactly where you want them before actually digging the holes and put them in. You may over positioning them correctly and it is good to do it at the beginning stage and it will save your time overall.
    Always allow for expension, don't underestimate the extent to which plant will grow.
    Water carefully at planting time and when plants are in danger of drying, all the way through their initial season, as it is important.
    Contained plants can be bought and planted at any time, but wherever possible, plan to do the bulk of your planting in autume or early spring, if possible as this will help them to get off to a good start.

Common herbs
    A herbs garden is a wonderful place and one of the best ways of displaying herbs is to plant them in patterns. Below is a list of most common herbs can be easily obtain in herbs garden.

Rosemary: with its spiky leaves, soft blue flowers and aromatic scent, rosemarry is a valuable evergreen shrub in it own right. This is an important culinary and medicinal herb.

Peppermints: is the quintessential herb. It has a uniquely clean, refreshing flavour. It has been used medicinally for many years.Today peppermint oil is found in indigestion table and confectionary.

Parsley:parsley is a more-ish herb, if you want a good supply, grow it from seed and if you follow the simple technique, you will find that it is not as difficult to grow
    -------------------------------
    DrJedSnyder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2012, 10:30 AM
    I live near Columbia, SC. It is early June. Can I expect monkey grass to still do okay if I plant and be sure it is watered regularly or should I wait until the fall?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Anyone know the name of this plant? [ 2 Answers ]

http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/329839/2/istockphoto_329839_feathery_plants.jpg Urgent, thanks!

My anger monkey [ 3 Answers ]

Well where to start. I'm 24 yrs old and for as long as I can remember I have always been angry for one reason or another. I wake up angry and this continues for the remainder of the day. I'm in a new relationship and I fear that this will be the thing that makes us part. I'm happy and angry at the...

Cover tennis courts with dirt and plant grass? [ 5 Answers ]

I've got a double tennis court that needs to be gone. The price for removal is absolutely ridiculous ($15-20,000). It is horribly cracked throughout. I'm considering dumping a bunch of dirt on it to make a hill then plant grass. I know the drainage will not be perfect, but do you think I...

What should I plant . [ 3 Answers ]

I have a wonderful patch of empty dirt between my garage and sidewalk and don't know what to put there, last year I tried raspberry canes and blueberries but there wasn't enouph sun and they didn't produce any berries, It is in shade all the time, I was thinking of some pretty flowers and maybe a...

Grass like plant [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn has died and I am looking for a grass like plant which does not require watering but instead gets the moisture from the humid air. I live in south Florida and the plant/grass should grow a year round. It should also be able to handle direct sunlight staying green. Would you have any...

View more questions Search