Ask Me Help Desk

Ask Me Help Desk (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forum.php)
-   Bereavement (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   How can I sleep? (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=798641)

• Aug 7, 2014, 12:24 AM
    breekarig
    How can I sleep?
    My father suddenly passed away in January of 2011. It is 3 years later and I still suffer from sleep insomnia. Every time I close my eyes all I see is my father dying over and over again in the hospital. So I rarely sleep. I don't know what's wrong with me. Can anyone help. I'm begging
  • Aug 7, 2014, 05:38 AM
    smoothy
    Sounds like its time for grief counceling. Most people would have moved on long before then, nobody ever forgets it, but you learn to live with it.
  • Aug 7, 2014, 05:56 AM
    Fr_Chuck
    I agree, 6 months or even a year, but after 3 years, you need to receive counseling.
  • Aug 7, 2014, 08:50 AM
    Wondergirl
    I agree that you need to see a grief counselor. Meanwhile, buy a notebook or start a Word file. Write down things you remember -- funny things he said or did, vacations your family went on, special things about him, things he liked to do to relax, things that drove him crazy at times. Plant a tree or a pretty bush or even a small garden in his memory. And talk about him!

I feel your pain. My dad died of a massive heart attack in 1994. We never had time for a last goodbye or "I love you." We did the things I suggested to you, and he is always part of my mom's, sibs, and my conversations.
  • Aug 7, 2014, 10:34 AM
    tickle
    Get grief counselling. Most funeral homes offer this, although I think its too late to take advantage of this.

Our minds and hearts gradually move on, the happiness after is remembering them fondly and lovingly. They stay in our thoughts but not in a sad way.
  • Aug 7, 2014, 12:05 PM
    Alty
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

I lost both of my parents 6 months apart in 2001. I do understand what you're going through.

In a way I was lucky. Both my parents died of cancer, and were patients in the cancer hospital near me. If you are a relative of a patient in that hospital you are given all the resources they are, grief counseling, etc. So right after my father died (he was first to go) I went to counseling at the hospital he died in. Same with my mom.

It helped a great deal.

I agree with the others. It's long past time to seek out counseling for this.
  • Aug 7, 2014, 04:57 PM
    Jacalyn Libby
    I agree, you need grief counseling. You also need to realize that everyone grieves differently and some longer than others. Pray for release from your suffering and realize that your Father would be sooo sad to know how you are feeling. He loves you and needs to know that you will be OK. You will be with him someday. I don't know how old you are so I hesitate to suggest this but you can try melatonin, it is the natural chemical that your brain releases to help you sleep. It is a supplement and can be found anywhere a store sells vitamins. I will pray for you. I also lost my Father and Mother...