Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1angel1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2016, 12:03 PM
    I really want my familys' home
    About 16 yrs ago my great aunt passed - leaving my grandmother(her sister) her house and custody of her mentally challenged adult son (my moms first cousin). Not even a year later My grandmother passed leaving my aunt her beneficiary. My cousin was moved to a nursing home- my mother then, took over the house. When my mom got ill- my brother and I moved in to assist. Since my mom passed 2 years ago no none has been living there- or been paying the property taxes on it. What would be my first step to trying to own this own? My aunt wants nothing to do with the house and I would hate to see it eventually auctioned after being in the family so long.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 11, 2016, 01:01 PM
    Then buy it from your aunt and pay the taxes.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 11, 2016, 01:32 PM
    You have a lot of work to do, in addition to talking to your aunt. Make sure she really has the deed in her name, in case the estate wasn't probated. Check with the town tax collector regarding when it goes into foreclosure for back taxes. Many towns have very high interest rate charges.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2016, 01:28 AM
    See, who actually is on the deed to the house. You do this at the court house.

If your aunt still owns it, make her an offer to buy it.

If the taxes have not been paid for long enough, it may have been sold at a tax auction, and some stranger has a tax lien or tax deed on the property (rules on this vary greatly by state)

Also see, at the office when you check the deed, if there is any liens on the property.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 12, 2016, 06:46 AM
    Or, if the aunt refuses to entertain a reasonable offer from you, consider buying it at the tax sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the name of the movie where a familys daughter goes missing? [ 2 Answers ]

The film is made in the 60s or 70s I think (the actually story of the movie is set during the vietnam war I think - in a time where hippies were active), it centers on normal, good standing American family(big house, no apparent in family conflicts, their daughter is an exemplary good girl, etc)...

Movie not to old about multiple familys like babel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie its not to old its about multiple family's its sort of like babel it could even be that movie but I read the description and I don't think it is. It follows a family that has a muslim girl who in school writes a paper on suicide bombers that causes her to get deported. I...

Familys doing my head in how can I calm down [ 1 Answers ]

Heyy my question is My mum and dad are rally stressing mi out thking there better when there not :@ What can I do

How would you address your familys criticisms of and attitudes about education [ 4 Answers ]

Consider the scenario, deana recently decided to start attending college yet her family is criticizinng her decision, they argue that she should focus on working so she can start earningmoney when she begins school, they fear she will not have as much time to spend with family not to mention her...

Tax deductions for familys with child in title 1 program. [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a tax deduction or credit for familys with a chid in the title 1 program at school? (kids with learning disabilities) what is it and how do I get it. We live in Oregon.

View more questions Search