Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jgrzywa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2015, 08:21 AM
    Manager
    Currently my employer in Illinois is trying to figure out a way to eliminate a horrible manager and promote a supervisor position. This manager would either be terminated, due to bad management and time falsification (which managers do not have time cards, they write down their hours and send via email), or be demoted. What can they do to prove this manager is bad and needs the demotion/termination?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 28, 2015, 08:44 AM
    You allow your employer to handle this situation. It is none of your business.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 28, 2015, 08:46 AM
    Demotion never works. Firing is the best option.
    Your employer needs written policy so that he or she doesn't face discrimination lawsuits. Such policy can't break federal or state law, but many situations aren't addressed by law, and even law gets muddled easily when an employee decides to charge that racism, agism, or sexism are the real reason. Even something like being there too long and making too much money, one very common reason for getting rid of someone in favor of a new one willing to work for much less.

An employer doesn't, in theory, have to prove anything when their reasons are bad management. Just make a list of poor work results and the word of underlings.
    Obviously falsifying hours worked can be an easy ground for immediate dismissal. How to prove it in a law court? Time stamped cameras. Testimony of other workers, and the lack of solid evidence of work during the time they weren't there. Social sites like Facebook can sometimes reveal a lot.

I wouldn't make a big deal about all the 'evidence' unless this is a union worker, or someone you suspect will sue. But this is why most policy includes specific steps to being fired, usually a 90 day probation period when first hired, and X number of warnings of X duration, in person and in writing, in the file, before dismissal.

Your employer needs a real HR employee who knows all this and how to do it.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 28, 2015, 09:28 AM
    As was mentioned. Managers are generally never Union... and except for Executives... rarely if ever have contracts. Meaning all they have to say is they weren't performing up to expectations. And that's it... they are gone.

You really need to stay out of this because it's the responsibility of their superiors and the HR dept. And you will bring negative attention to yourself as well.

Assuming you aren't speaking of yourself.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 28, 2015, 10:07 AM
    That's why bosses get paid the big bucks to make such decisions. Are you trying to help the boss to get this fellow's job or what?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask an hr manager [ 8 Answers ]

I have interviewed for a job and the hiring manager is interested in me. I was "stopped" for DUI last year, but received supervision, NO CONVICTION. I also have a valid driver's license. The hiring manager spoke to HR and was told because of General Liability insurance policy, they cannot hire...

I like my manager. [ 3 Answers ]

So I just started working at this new place. I kind of like my manager he isn't that much older then me and he never talks to me unless its something work related. Im too shy to start a conversation with him because I don't want him to find out I like him. I would rather he makes the first moves. I...

I think I like my manager... [ 1 Answers ]

I started working at Mcdonalds about a month ago and then there's this manager... the weird one I remember I hated him so much cause his comments irritated me.. and today when both of us were on break he was like did you have a PA day on Friday and I was like no my stupid gay school doesn't have...

The Manager [ 2 Answers ]

My manager was recently let go from his job, for allegedly grabbing another employee by her waist and then touching her. He didn't do it, and she has no proof that he did, so when he wins in court, will the owner of the business and his employees have to give him his job back? By Tennessee law,...

View more questions Search