Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    littlebear84 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2015, 11:30 AM
    Employees bringing domestic dispute to workplace
    We have two employees who are in a relationship and one has told us he/she will file a restraining order and call police on the other, but we feel our hands our tied in taking any action for fear of discrimination based on our knowledge of the private situation. It is now making managers uncomfortable to be on shift with them. What recourse do we have at this time?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 21, 2015, 11:37 AM
    Are they employees "at will"
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 21, 2015, 12:19 PM
    The one who might file a RO should be sat down in personnel and told firmly that that sort of personal and highly charged emotional matter is disruptive to the company and all employees, and any further mention of it will put him/her in consideration for termination - until/unless it happens. The court will decide how to handle the work situation. The wording, of course, will depend on COMPANY POLICY regarding warnings, probation, and termination. If you don't have such policy, it's time to do so, with a handbook for each employee, or put it online.

Do not allow for any rants about how dangerous this other person is - it's not your concern.

Make it clear in general terms that relationships outside the company are not welcome inside, unless they are on good terms, for the good of the company and it's people.

The company doesn't need to be held hostage to hiring and firing rights.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 21, 2015, 12:45 PM
    What's the company policy on workplace relationships? You could keep them on different shift while you sort it out, or fire them both if they have behavior that disrupts the workplace.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 21, 2015, 06:00 PM
    This is exactly why intelligent people don't play house with other coworkers.

Many places will fire BOTH for being a disruption in the workplace.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2015, 08:21 PM
    Both employees need to be talked to about bringing personal issues to work.

If there is not a policy about this, one should be written.

If possible, if there are issues, they need to be separated by departments or by shift

As long as you do not treat them different because of race, religion, and the few protected rights, why would it be discrimination? If they would be gay, just treat them like you would non gay couples with same issues.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal to change full-time employees into part-time employees? [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to know how legal could be changing emplyees' schedulles without notice them before. I was working 40 hours each week since I started in my present job. They have been decreasing the number of hours for some employees. At this moment I'm working 32 hours each week, with 3 days off....

H1B person Bringing mother as Nanny (Domestic employee-B1) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in H1B and want to bring my mother as a domestic employee (nanny-B1 visa) to USA because I think my mother is the right person to teach our child our culture and language. What is the process? Please help. Thanks

Cosigner holding my car hostage over domestic dispute [ 5 Answers ]

OK... here's a tough one. I bought a car with my step-mom as the co-signer and we live in Pennsylvania. I have been making the payments and paying my share of the car insurance. Now my father is mad at me for moving back in with my mother and he and my step-mom have taken my car and cars and...

Info on a Domestic sewing Machine Company Motor (Domestic) 110 volt Motor Style286710 [ 0 Answers ]

I have a New Willard Sewing Machine with a "Domestic" Brand motor. I don't have the plug that plugs into that motor to go to power and the foot pedal. Can anyone help me? Thanks, Kathie

View more questions Search