Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkiepie_578 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    -

Dec 4, 2014, 07:05 PM
    I can never forgive my mom!
    My grandma and I we were very close. She was one of my bestest friends in the whole world. When she had she knew she wasn't going to last long. Before she had passed she given me her necklace that was made our of REAL diamonds and sapphires that was worth hundreds of dollars and she wore it on her wedding day way back. Its very old but she still wanted to give it to me as a gift to remember her and she wanted me to have it. After she passed I miss her so much each and everyday. She meant the world to me. The necklace given to me was placed in a box in my room where I have it and can remember her.

The other day I opened the box hoping to see the beautiful necklace that will remind me of my grandma - it was not there. Instead, the necklace was replaced with another one that was "similar" but not the one she gave me. They were fake diamonds and sapphires and instead just fake crystals. I asked my mom what happened to the necklace. And she pretended nothing happened and she said "nothing happened" but I knew she was lying.

My dad came home from work and I asked him the same thing. He took a deep breath and spoke out: "your mother took the necklace and sent it to an old friend back in Germany for her birthday. She took another one and replaced it with it". I was so mad at my mom when he said that. I went and told my mom I was like " just admit exactly what you did I know what happened" and my mom continues to lie about it but the necklace is definetely not my grandma's. She just keeps lying in my face how she didn't but she did. My dad saw what happened and told me.

Why would my mom even do that? She thought she had the right to just send it to another country to a friend? Didn't she think about me? Also she thought it was okay to lie to me about it and not admit what she did? It really hurts a lot I'm so upset with her right now.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 4, 2014, 07:42 PM
    How heartbreaking to have something so unique and special from your Grandmother, exchanged for a different necklace, and yours shipped to your mother's friend.

I'm really sorry that your mother did such a thing.

She needs to right this wrong.

Why not suggest that she email her friend, and tell her that she's just discovered that she sent the wrong necklace. The one she sent belongs to her daughter, and was a gift from her grandmother.

She can make something else up or add to it by saying that the day she was preparing to send a gift, she was in a rush, and grabbed the wrong necklace, not realizing it until her daughter realized it was gone.

Your mother should also send right away, money to pay for the return of the necklace. An e-transfer would be the most quick way.

There is no way that what your mother did was okay. Not in a million years. Had the situation been reversed, and you had stolen a piece of her jewellery and mailed it off to a friend of yours- well, I imagine you'd be in big trouble.

Enlist the help of your father who was at least honest with you. Maybe he can convince your mother to get that necklace back.

I hope you post again when this has been resolved.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 03:20 AM
    You should write the person, yourself, and ask for it back, explain it to the person,

You are correct, there is no excuse for this, You are correct, I am not sure, I could forgive her either.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 05:12 AM
    I would sit both parents down, and see what can be done about it, to at least get a lot more information. Often kids don't know what has gone on between our elders and older generations before we were born, and that may shed some light on thing because it's so unthinkable for such a deception to be carried out by a parent on a child without a HUGE reason.

Maybe your mom was promised this piece before you were, and resented you getting it, I don't know, but there is more to find out I feel, and a cool head will be a better approach than an angry one. I certainly understand your anger though, I would be very mad too at my mom, and the way things were handled.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 5, 2014, 06:01 AM
    I too am sorry about this, and how unfair it is. Much of life is unfair, and a lot of what happens has no solution. This might be one of those situations.
    I personally wonder if your mother could lie so easily about taking the necklace, then it's possible that she is lying about what she did with it. I know, your father told you, but he might not know the truth, or he might be lying too, ostensibly to protect you, to make you somehow feel better.
    What I'm getting at is this: I just don't find it credible that a mother would steal a diamond and sapphire necklace, belonging to her mother, from her daughter, only to send it to someone else out of the country. I think it's more credible that your parents sold it. Many parents just won't discuss finances with their children (also in a misguided belief that they are protecting them). Aside from the need for money is the reason that talaniman suggested - that your mother felt that it was more rightfully hers. It could be both reasons, who knows. I wonder if your father might be more willing to tell the truth. I just don't believe the story. Germany? That just makes it sound far away and harder to get back. Try a gentle approach with him, but if he stays with the story, then you really have to drop it. You could ask him how you are supposed to trust them from now on. Again - gently.

OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG. But all in all, life IS unfair.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 07:27 AM
    One doesn't just send a valuable item to a far away place. A diamond and sapphire necklace would be fair game for anyone but was it ever appraised ? My questions are not heartless, just practical. I find it hard to believe that your mother, knowing the value of this piece, would just send it willy nilly to Germany, to a 'friend'; it would not be worth hundreds, but thousands if real.

I somewhat agree with Joy; these are hard times and maybe your parents were not managing.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Dec 5, 2014, 10:44 AM
    I feel this young ladies pain. Also thought, I would hold my comments until I saw what you all say.
    Sorry, but I question the sincerity of the parents. Did they really send it off, harsh yes?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2014, 02:13 PM
    Did you tell your mother that your father told you she took it? If so, what did she say about that part of it? Is it possible that your father is the one who actually took it? I would also sit down with both of them together at the same time and ask some more about what happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daugter gave mom cash, mom wrote check who is liabilty for bill? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter gave me cash in exchange for me writing a check, now the stable is claiming I am responsible for all the bills because I wrote checks to them prior.

Early 90's movie where lady locks mom in basement because mom is monster [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of this horror movie that I think came out in the early 90's or late 80's where at the beginning, this lady goes to a gypsy/fortune teller and the fortune teller gives her a Moon and Star pendant and tells her that her soul mate will have the same Moon and Star...

My mom still thinks I should forget and forgive everything she did WHY? [ 4 Answers ]

My mom and dad got a divorce when I waws 2 years old and she did bad things to my brother and I and she had given away my half brohter Alex I never found out until I was 10 years old... and she just wants me to get over the divorce all she's says is other kids do I don't believe that but why does...

View more questions Search