Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
    When is a 401K loan considered dispersed after default
    I asked a similar question earlier and have since found out some info, I had a 401K loan out while working in MI. I left the company in Oct 05 and became a full time resident of NC. My loan defaulted in Jan 06, so at that point it is considered a withdraw, so do I owe MI taxes (where I lived when the loan was taken out) or NC taxes which is where I was living when it defaulted (and became a withdraw)? The 1099-R sent to me has a taxpayer ID that starts with MI, so that leads me to believe I need to pay MI taxes, so I'm very confused.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, the MI treasury has not been able to provide me with any sort of guidance for this situation.

Thanks again
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 01:24 PM
    If no Michigan taxes were withheld, no MI tax return is required.

You will owe tax to NC because that is where you lived when the distribution was made.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is not paying car loan considered grand theft? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, My best friend is going through a really rough time right now. She is bipolar and is making terrible decisions with her life. We have tried everything but nothing gets through to her. She is already in consumer credit counseling and has a part time job and is homeless (living out of her...

401K Loan Default after leaving the state it was dispersed in [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my situation, left a job in MI in Oct 05 and moved out of state. I had a small loan out of my 401K from my previous job that defaulted in Jan 06. I know I need to pay the taxes and penalties on it but my question is which state do I need to pay the taxes to? I lived in NC for all of 2006,...

Car loan default [ 1 Answers ]

I have to default on my car loan. I also have a co signer, the car is not running the engine has blown... I advised the insurance company of same... what are th elaws regarding this... is still repaying the loan my responsibility

401k home loan default [ 3 Answers ]

My wife took out a loan two years ago from her 401k. This was a first time withdrawal for the purpose of a home loan. She is now interviewing with another company. (Better commute, new faces) Given that her loan becomes callable when she leaves, if she defaults, is there the 10% withdrawal...

Default on car loan [ 6 Answers ]

I am facing a serious situation.I had a car loan and then I gat into an accident.It was a hit and run and the police never found the people that hit me.Unfortunelty right before that, because of serious financial problems, I couldn t make my insurance payments.Now I received a call from a lawyer...

View more questions Search