Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teresa Vieira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2013, 03:43 PM
    My daughter is really rude to me, why?
    Hi I'm Teresa. I have a daughter of the age 24. We were best friends when she was home. Know she's moved out. And she never calls and don't even want to talk to me and this is really killing me because we were best friends. I can see she really hates me, why?
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 03:54 PM
    She is finding her own path and your are trying to hold on too tightly. She may not hate you but is too busy to talk while she is distracted with the challenge of exploring her world.

Let her and take the opportunity of building your life outside of her. You do have a life that you enjoy that makes you happy don't you?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 03:57 PM
    I'm guessing she's trying to establish herself apart from you and be her own person, have her own identity. Give her some time and don't give her grief for it. Find your own excitement with friends or relatives or hobbies or reading books. Become a volunteer at a hospital or animal shelter or nursing home so that you can share all the best parts of you with others (and get back lots of satisfaction and even love in return).
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 04:16 PM
    I always cringe when a mother posts and says "we're best friends". You're not supposed to be friends with your kids, you're supposed to be a parent. You can't be a best friend and a mother, it's not possible. So based on that, I'd say you dropped being a mother so you could be her friend instead, which is really not good at all.

We can't tell you why she's not calling. Obviously she feels she has a reason to cut you out. Maybe she doesn't want a best friend, but a mother instead.

You have to be honest with yourself, because there must be a reason she's doing this, one you either don't want to face, or you don't want to admit.

Good luck.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2013, 05:08 PM
    Sorry to say but don't ever fail to consider alcohol or drugs with abrupt changes of any type.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2013, 05:21 PM
    Internal pressure and peer pressure. Do you realize how many friends think there's something wrong with a 20 something living at home? And they don't hide it either.

If she won't talk to you, I suspect it's because your words and actions wanted her to stay, plain and simple. She may also feel that she wasted the last few years and has to blame someone, so she blames you for making life too easy. Because unless you told her to get a job, pay you room and board, AND save for her own place, you were making it too easy.

A good parent lets a child go, and starts the encouragement and direction toward a future when the child is in her mid teens.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 9, 2013, 05:26 PM
    Joy, I wish I could greenie you, but I no longer have that option. I agree 100%.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 9, 2013, 05:29 PM
    Same here. I really do try to give new people greenies, but I'm not stuck on the same responders; they are the ones who deserve them.

[Now I see that it took, after telling me it wouldn't..]
    abby5995 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2013, 02:34 PM
    She is probably trying to get used to not being able to have you around since she has moved out.Trying to be independent . Or her friends might be making fun of her since she has lived at home for 20 some odd years with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Step Daughter is very rude [ 2 Answers ]

I have been married to my husband for the past 3 years. And I have a 22 month old son with my husband. Ever since I got married to my husband my step daughter has been very rude, disrespectful and mean to me. I have tried all I could to make her realize that I care about her, and that she is a part...

My daughter is very rude to me, and we live together [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter an I share the same home, she is very rude to me, to the point I am thinking of moving out. I pay the mortgage,I put her son on the bus every morning,even when she is there in bed.I help her with dishes And laundry,way more then my share.I can`t stand the thought of leaving my...

How can a mom react when a grown daughter talks rude to her [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter has movedhome twice after each divorce. We have let her come back each time. She is going through a very difficult period. But she can be rude, disrespectful, and; its like she boards with us but not involved in our life at all. She works 3 jobs. But her attitude to me is hurtful, we...

More on mom and daughter [ 16 Answers ]

OK, my mom sold me her 03 altima. It was a yr old when I started making monthly pyments. She ask me what I could afford as a pyment. I told her I could do 350.00. She stated OK . The pyment was 472.00. She offered to pay the diffrence every month. She was helping me out. She did this about a year,...

View more questions Search