Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    I-have-no-clue Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2013, 07:59 PM
    How do I lose weight?
    Hi. I'm 18 5'4.5 and weigh 230lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for over a year but I just keep gaining around 5lbs a month. I can even see the fat growing on me! I want to know how I can lose weight super fast because I've gained so much weight that I'm suffering from countless other health issues because of it. I've adjusted my calorie intake to where I am all but starving myself. At least that's what I know of. You see I tend to black out and when I come to I'm eating something I didn't even know I had in my house. I've been using the treadmill and elliptical at different variables every day (mainly till I have and asthma attack or pass out cause my pulse got to high) a lot of people are dumbfounded that I way as much as I do because apparently with how high my resting pulse is I should have I higher metabolism. Please help I need to lose weight fast cause I'm 18 and at high risk of a heart attack. Oh and by the way I can't do much that will increase my heart rate too much I tend to run around 130 resting.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 08:03 PM
    If you are eating you aren't staving yourself.

It all boils down to consuming fewer calories than you burn. And its important to eat the right foods... not just the right amount of foods.

And starving yourself is the wrong way. Too few calories wrecks your metabolism... as well as malnutrition. You really need to get the help of a professional nutritionist that can give you a specific diet and stick with it. There are a lot of wrong ways to do this... and only a few right ones.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2013, 08:10 PM
    What types of food are you eating? Do a raw diet or a Mediterranean diet. Too many of the foods nowadays contain so much garbage, message, gmo, heavy metals, animal growth hormones, animal antibiotics, etc... People use to not need gluten free and have all these food allergies until they started messing with the food
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 8, 2013, 08:17 PM
    Get a complete physical from your doctor. You can ask for a diet specifically for you and your health issues.

Jul 8, 2013, 10:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    what types of food are you eating? do a raw diet or a Mediterranean diet. Too many of the foods nowadays contain so much garbage, msg, gmo, heavy metals, animal growth hormones, animal antibiotics, etc........People use to not need gluten free and have all these food allergies til they started messing with the food
    I usually eat only things that say "all natural" on the label because I have found that the chemicals and preservatives in some foods give me migraines and seeing as I don't want to be bed ridden with a throbbing spinning head I restrict my diet. Though as I mentioned in my original question I do suffer from theses black out (completely unrelated issue that I know why happens) I have no clue what I eat (or do for that matter) during
    Zea Posts: 217, Reputation: 19

Jul 8, 2013, 11:32 PM
    Starving yourself will slow your metabolism. So that is one reason why you aren't losing any weight.

Secondly, when you starve yourself, the fat that is stored in your body (glycogen) will be used to take the place of the energy lost (the energy/food that you are NOT providing your body with) to perform normal activities. This “borrowing” of fat can make someone gain even more weight. FREAK OUT!

Third, losing weight slower will, by consuming the right foods and exercising, have better and lasting results. Losing weight fast is like getting in and out of a sauna machine without following a proper diet or any exercising.

I know this because almost everyone I know knows this info.

I always hear people say “I want to lose some weight, so I'm going to starve myself. Maybe I should skip dinner tonight?” I tell them that same thing but all they do is nod their heads. I am sure they can hear me, but they just don't want to listen. You know, I believe in this quote: “Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it.” These are the words of Agatha Christie. If I never read this, I wouldn't be giving you this advice.

All you can do is follow a healthy diet, exercise and balance all this with patience to achieve your goal.

What about the "blackouts"?

Jul 9, 2013, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Zea View Post
    Starving yourself will slow your metabolism. So that is one reason why you aren't losing any weight.

Secondly, when you starve yourself, the fat that is stored in your body (glycogen) will be used to take the place of the energy lost (the energy/food that you are NOT providing your body with) to perform normal activities. This “borrowing” of fat can make someone gain even more weight. FREAK OUT!

Third, losing weight slower will, by consuming the right foods and exercising, have better and lasting results. Losing weight fast is like getting in and out of a sauna machine without following a proper diet or any exercising.

I know this because almost everyone I know knows this info.

I always hear people say “I wanna lose some weight, so I’m gonna starve myself. Maybe I should skip dinner tonight?” I tell them that same thing but all they do is nod their heads. I am sure they can hear me, but they just don’t want to listen. You know, I believe in this quote: “Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that's no reason not to give it.” These are the words of Agatha Christie. If I never read this, I wouldn't be giving you this advice.

All you can do is follow a healthy diet, exercise and balance all this with patience to achieve your goal.

What about the "blackouts"?
    The blackouts started last summer. They are because I am bipolar and I just blackout when I hit my manic phases. I'm working on controlling it but like I said I have no clue what I do say or eat during these times
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2013, 07:24 AM
    I know a lot of bi polar and none black out. Keep eating all natural but check the ingredients cause things like kelloggs snack bars say all natural but aren't. Most yogurts are bad because of all the sugar and hidden chemicals. Go organic when you can. Maybe some antioxidents and fish oil might help. I found vitamin B complex in the morning, magnesium and potassium at bedtime helps me to be more alert and less black out feeling.
    AnswerMan5000 Posts: 186, Reputation: 3

Jul 9, 2013, 08:47 AM
    Have you ever considered having a sauna in the home? Or investing in a portable sauna?

A lot of people who have constant weight problems and want to lose weight make the leap. A sauna helps to detoxify the body. If you don't have a lot of money to shell out for a sauna or spa, no problem. Try a portable sauna

Talk to your doctor first to make sure the idea is right for you. Using a sauna 2-3 times a week, in conjunction with eating healthy and exercising, will help to boost your metabolism.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 9, 2013, 09:58 AM
    Have others help watch or control your eating,

Also get your illness medicated and under control

There is no fast method, fast only makes it worst, and you put on more weight then you lose almost always.

Also, if you are reading labels, that is part of a issue, eat only fresh food, not canned, never anything processed, cut out almost all fast foods.

Jul 9, 2013, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AnswerMan5000 View Post
    Have you ever considered having a sauna in the home? Or investing in a portable sauna?

A lot of people who have constant weight problems and want to lose weight make the leap. A sauna helps to detoxify the body. If you don't have a lot of money to shell out for a sauna or spa, no problem. Try a portable sauna

Talk to your doctor first to make sure the idea is right for you. Using a sauna 2-3 times a week, in conjunction with eating healthy and exercising, will help to boost your metabolism.
    I don't own my home so unfortunately I can b
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 11, 2013, 05:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I-have-no-clue View Post
    The blackouts started last summer. They are because I am bipolar and I just blackout when I hit my manic phases. I'm working on controlling it but like I said I have no clue what I do say or eat during these times
    Are you on any medications? If so, check the side-effects and talk with your doctor and/or pharmacist about drug interactions with other medications, supplements and foods.

Also talk to your doctor about your blood pressure if you haven't already.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am 16 and I am over weight I weight 216 pounds what can I do to lose weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am 16 and I weigh 216 pounds I want to lose weight I cut down on my junk food and on my sodas and juices I exercise about once a week because I am to busy doing homework but it seems not to work I can't lose weight even if I cut down on all my junk food I need help I want to lose a least 60...

How much good fats can I eat a day in order to keep my weight or lose weight? [ 2 Answers ]

I lost 4kg with a 21 day sugar/carb free diet to break my sugar addiction. After that I've kept really healthy and off sugar and carbs but sometimes I get so hungry like today, I ate 250gr of nuts which have 1200 kcal plus 5 tablespoons full of coconut oil plus 1 1/2 avocados, eggs, chicken and...

Healthy weight? Or lose weight? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to raise my fitness level and loose wieght around my stomach, and upper legs. Although my family and friends say losing wieght would be dangerous, but I think there just saying that. Im so confused, I see myself as overweight and my family sees me as fine. I hate being so self...

Help me lose weight [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 12(soon tobe 13 in 25 days) and I'm about 5,4 tall and I weight 152 pounds I'm in year 8 but I'm changing schools soon and at the moment I already get called fat and names about my weight and I just don't want that to happen in my new school and plus the school I'm going to is much bigger then...

View more questions Search