Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaaa11bbbb Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2013, 10:37 AM
    California State tax filing query
    Hi,

I have a query regarding state tax filing for my situation.

For tax year 2012, I was living in California for the first 15 days. My paycheck reflects California tax deducted for the first 15 days.

I then moved to Texas and living there ever since.

1)My paystub reflects Texas state (no state taxes) since Jan 30 2012.

2) In my W-2, I only see California mentioned under "State". No Texas mentioned in W-2 even though I lived and worked there for the entire year barring the first 15 days.

3) Even though, I moved to Texas and my paystub reflects that from Jan 30,2012, I didn't get a Texas drivers license till now and also had home rental lease in California on my name active till Feb 2013.

Should I file California State tax even though I worked there only for 15 days in the year and CA state tax deducted was just $260 from my paystub ?

Am I considered California resident since, I failed to change my drivers license to Texas and had a rental home lease active in California?

If I had to file CA tax, which form should I fill?

Please provide your suggestions.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 11:54 AM
    File the California return as a part-year resident.

On California Form 540NR(CA), you will detail when you moved and what part of your income was earned in California, thus paying California taxes ONLY on the California-sourced income.

Apr 4, 2013, 12:29 PM
    Thank You AtlantaTaxExpert!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 12:35 PM
    Glad to help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 4, 2013, 02:12 PM
    Just to add - the reason your W2 doesn't list "TX" under state is because no income tax was withheld for TX (as you note there is no state income tax in TX). The purpose of that box is to document state taxes withheld, not to document where you lived. Among other things it lets the IRS see that you probably shouldn't be claiming a huge deduction on your federal tax return for state income taxes paid.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2013, 04:21 PM
    Good points made by ebaines!

Apr 5, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Thank You ebaines!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Worked in US for a couple of months. I have a query on tax filing [ 5 Answers ]

I am an Indian and I worked in US for a couple of months last year. I am married but my wife did not travel to US. While filling the tax return should I file as single or married filing separately. If I select married filing separately an online tax filing website is asking for my spouse's ssn...

Query on filing tax returns [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US in September 2011 on H1 with my wife. We went to a tax expert to guide us through the benefits of filing tax jointly. As per him, my wife needs to apply for SSN which is 'Not authorized to work' type SSN. However, I told him that I believe it is not valid to apply for SSN as she is...

General Tax Query related to Federal and State Tax and Filing Status. [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Married Indian resident. I had visited US in 2006 twice on H1B. I have never been to US earlier. Period of Visit: March 2006-April2006 approx 44 Days - Income from NY. Stayed in NJ August 2006 – Sept 2006 approx 32 Days. - Income from NJ. Stayed in NJ My company paid the salary...

International student query on tax filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I started working on my CPT from May 2008 to dec 2008 in a New York based company. My university is from Illinois and I have no income from my on-campus job this year. Do I have to file my state taxes for both Illinois and New York. Also, could you please tell me which forms do I fill out...

View more questions Search