Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexmaster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
    Should I go to community college or find a way into uni, or join the military?
    Tldr version; 20 yr old with poor h.s grades and slight mental issues have no idea what to do with herself. ('specially with no job) No interests, hobbies, passions that would steer her in any direction. Want to get an education but is worried about cost. Also thinking of going into the coast guard or Army but obese currently. What do should she?

I graduated from high school 2 years ago(just turned 20) and just lounging around with no purpose now. A year ago I was in UW-Milwaukee but dropped out because I didn't know what I was doing nor could afford the cost. The counselor suggested I should just withdraw and come back later but didn't and now I'm lost on what I should do with my life.

I was thinking of going to community college and then transferring to a university because of the cost but read that theirs a chance some classes won't transfer and I don't want to waste any money or time. But I would also like to have this so called "college experience." I know it would force me to be more less socially anxious and get more into school clubs and activities... (even though it was soooo expensive in the dorms!)

Overall I'm just confused.. and on top of that I have no idea what I want to go to school for. I really don't have any interests, or hobbies, or passions. None of the majors/degrees interested me or the ones I do looks twice at in I KNOW I couldn't learn because I'm not that bright. And to make it worse, I had poor grades because of very low self esteem, body issues, anxiety, depression, laziness and very low confidence so I haven't did much those 4 years. (feeling a bit better now and managed a 3.2gpa )

P.S My father thinks I should just join the military. He knows a couple of recruiters at his job but I'm currently obese right and afraid I won't pass the ASVBA but I'm still keeping my options open here. I'm thinking Coast Guard Or Army.

So what should I do?
    imthereforyou Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2012, 09:25 AM
    Well, the fact that your obese can be changed. I would recommend a strict exercise regimen and diet, which if you follow, you should be completely healthy and slimmed down in a month.

Start by waking up at 6.00 in the morning. Go out for a jog of at least 2km and walk for about 1 hour. At first, it'll be hard to jog continuously for 2km but don't give in to the urge to slow down to a walk. Increase your pace every 2 days and distance by about 200m everyday. By the end of the month, you should be able to run 3km in under 18 min.

At about 7.30, take a bath and drink 1 glass of cold banana shake with no sugar. Rest for two hours.

At 10.00 AM, do a full Yoga work out for at least 1 hour. I recommend stretching exercises(forward-bending), vajrasan, padmasan, and pranayama. Try to get a professional yoga teacher to teach you.

Eat lunch at noon. Lunch should consist of no more than 2 cups of rice, some green vegetable and fish.

At 3.00 pm, start upper body exercises. Start with at least 25 sit-ups, 7 push-ups, and do planking exercise for at least 25s. By the end of the month, you should be able to do 40 sit-up, 15 push ups, and plank for about 50s. After working out, rest for two hours before heading out on a 2 hour walk/trek. On returning, shower and eat a dinner of fresh fruit/salad, spinach, rice and a small cup of curd. You make drink a glass of cold milk before heading to sleep, no later than 10.00pm.

Following this schedule should have you fit as a whistle by the end of one month. Please do this to bring discipline into your life. Joining the military can do wonders for people.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 14, 2012, 09:43 AM
    Your high school or community college should have available an interest test that you can take to at least help you zero in on your strengths and a few interests that you might not realize you have. Also, ask about taking the Myers-Briggs Personality Inventory to find out more about who you are.

How about volunteering somewhere for a while, like at a hospital or nursing home or library or animal shelter. Maybe volunteer for two hours a week at two different places. Ask at your public library if you could shelve books for x number of weeks, or even get a part-time job there doing that. It will be lots of stretching and moving, a bit of thinking, and also a safe place to get to know usually very kind, non-judgmental coworkers. Doing that boosted myself esteem and started my library career, and my autistic son has been shelving library books (and making himself useful in other ways) for almost 25 years now and loves it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I join the military after college? [ 12 Answers ]

Okay so here's the break down I'm 21 I'm almost finished with my bachelor's degree and I'm still looking for direction own my career choice. I have not completed any prior military training, but it is to my understanding that within as little as 13 weeks of training I could become a second lt....

I want to join the military but I have a felony [ 1 Answers ]

Can I join the army or marines if I have a concealed firearm charge? Its over 2 years old and it is a felony, but I have adjudication withheld

Is my dependent can work if I join a community college in uk? [ 0 Answers ]

I am a student and I have also a dependent. Now my visa is going to be almost finish. I am just worried about my dependent whether I would be allowed to work full time or not if I would join a community college?

Should I join military [ 12 Answers ]

I've been wondering if I should join the military. I love the military, there's only one thing stoping me. It's kind of lame, but I'm terrifed of needles. I have to get blood taken to join, I'm scared. I know I shouldn't let my fear stand in the way of my dreams, but it's standing right in the...

View more questions Search