Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Desouza21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2012, 02:09 AM
    Can a company make me sign a contract
    I have been working in sales for my company for the last 4 years and year on year increasing my sales I have never signed or even seen a contract of employment.
    They now what me to sign one that will restrict me going to a competitor for a number of months or speaking to my clients should I want to leave
    Do I have to sign this? What can they do if I don’t sign?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 17, 2012, 02:49 AM
    They can let you go if you won't sign. There are no 'rights' to the job except civil rights regarding race, creed, religion, gender and age.
    Some people hire a lawyer when this happens.
    I might be inclined to ask for a discussion about re-writing it. I think it's reasonable not to talk to clients if you leave, but what if you have to relocate to take care of an aging parent or something (present a hypothetical that describes your situation)? I would not sign a contract that prevents me from working for a competitor. I might negotiate a small list of competitors, or a shorter time limit, if they won't budge on dropping that part altogether.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No sign-on bonus contract [ 2 Answers ]

I didn't have a sign-on bonus agreemet. But the former employer claimed that I accepted their offer which has a clause saying that I shall repay the sign-on bonus if I leave voluntarily before one year. I left in about 10 months and they asked the money back. The offer letter doesn't have my...

I'm bieng sued but its not my debt I sign contract as a representative of this company [ 1 Answers ]

I'm bieng sued for a past due debt for a company I was representing. I now own this business under a different company but keep getting stuck with bills from prior owner

Can my company make me sign a different contract? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Ive worked for my company for 2 years now and recently discovered that my contract entitles me to an extra 30 hours paid holiday a year than I have been taking. I have informed my company of this and they have informed me that this is a "copy and paste" error that should never have been...

Co-sign: void of contract? [ 1 Answers ]

When given my lease forms the day before I moved into my apartment, the landlord asked for me to have a cosigner because I have never been on a lease before. I decided to have my mom as the cosigner. The landlord gave me both his and my copies of the lease for her to sign which I would have to...

Never sign contract with family [ 2 Answers ]

My ex husband and I signed a land contract with my in-laws and they refuse to give us both a copy of the land contract, which was signed in front of a notary,, mind you this was back in 1999. The house is paid for,, through our divorce in 2003 the judge ordered that it was joint tenants in common,...

View more questions Search