Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Black Ant Problem
    Hi- I deal with a mass Black Ant attack on my house maybe 3 or 4 times a year right when the weather first stays regularly above 75 degrees. I will get 100's the first time, less the second and even less the third. In some cases, a few make it into my living area.

I have removed any trees/bushes touching the house, removed any decaying matter within 30 feet of the house, sprayed Raid on downspouts and other places they like to climb. Used the Ortho house barrier stuff. Basically everything to keep them away.

What I can't figure out is why they still bother. What is in the house or on the house that they are so determined to get? There are other houses, a wooded area with plenty of rotten sticks and what not. Why do they insist on my house? I have lived here 3 years now and the routine is the same. I am wondering if my efforts have trapped ants in the house somewhere.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhandluke31 View Post
    Hi- I deal with a mass Black Ant attack on my house maybe 3 or 4 times a year right when the weather first stays regularly above 75 degrees. I will get 100's the first time, less the second and even less the third. In some cases, a few make it into my living area.

I have removed any trees/bushes touching the house, removed any decaying matter within 30 feet of the house, sprayed Raid on downspouts and other places they like to climb. Used the Ortho house barrier stuff. Basically everthing to keep them away.

What i can't figure out is why they still bother. What is in the house or on the house that they are so determined to get? There are other houses, a wooded area with plenty of rotten sticks and what not. Why do they insist on my house? I have lived here 3 years now and the routine is the same. I am wondering if my efforts have trapped ants in the house somewhere.
    The barrier defense is good... however they follow a pherimone trail to a food source.. so if you kill the ants that come others will continue to come. I like to also put out bait gells where they have been seen traveling. That doesn't kill immediately allowing them time to take it back to the next and poison the food source of the entire nest... thats VERY effective in controlling them.
    Coolhandluke31 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Seems they also climb up a power pole in the woods about 50 feet from the house and walk across the power line to the house. I sprayed raid on the house close to where it connects and coat the pole, but obviously after a few days, they don't care. It is amazing the tenacity of these guys.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
    Put out a bait... killing just the ones that get to the house won't stop them... because the nest has millions more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What kind of ant is red with black stripes around its body? [ 2 Answers ]

What kind of ant is red fuzzy type with black stripe around its body?

Black ant pills [ 2 Answers ]

Any info about black ant pills do they really work?

Having problem while colouring my black hair [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! It's Nimmi. My hair colour is completely black. I wanted to highlight my hair with brown colour. But when I used light brown hair colour on my hair then the change of my hair colour hardly noticeable. It's still almost black. I think I should change the colour to blond first, then use brown...

View more questions Search