Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taxaskmepe Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 07:03 AM
    Nonresident llc income tax to be paid for income from out of state sales?
    Hello,

I am the sole member of a Single member LLC, which is incorporated in California.
    I, myself am a nonresident alien (I do not live in the US).
    In the past year, the LLC had some sales of less than $2000, to customers in the state of California. All the other remaining sales were to Out of state customers across the US.Total sales less than $30000.

As a single member LLC, all the income must flow to me, and I will pay income tax on this income, by filing an IRS Form 1040 NR.
    However, do I also need to file a California Sales tax return (540-NR), which is a personal income tax return in the state of California?
    Plus, do I need to pay any personal income tax to the state of California, given the fact that the California sales are less then $2000-$3000?
    If so, at what rate, is that tax?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
    BUD
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:12 AM
    BUD:

If you have established a place of business in California, then a California state tax return is required, even though you are NOT a California resident. Otherwise, no.

You need to contact the California Franchise Tax Board to determine if you need to pay sales tax on the $2,000 in sales to California residents. I suspect you DO have to pay that tax, but each state has different thresholds as to when the tax is required.

May 11, 2012, 07:22 AM
    Hi,

I do not have an office location in California. It is an LLC incorporated in California, at a California address of an associate.
    I am aware that CA sales tax would need to be paid.
    I am referring to whether I would need to pay separate California INCOME tax on this income, since only about $2000 is attributable to California customers. The rest of the entire sales income is from customers across the US, not in California.

BUD
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2012, 07:27 AM
    BUD:

It does not MATTER from where the income comes; it is flowing THROUGH your California location, so in the eyes of the California Franchise Tax Board, it is income EARNED within the borders of California and thus subject to California income taxes.

May 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
    SO I would need to file the Form 540NR as well, and do I pay tax twice: Once to the IRS, and again to the FTB, as per California rates?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2012, 08:12 AM
    Yes, that IS correct.

Note that you CAN deduct the California taxes paid as an itemized deduction on your federal income tax return.

May 11, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Thank you.
    And, would that tax need to be paid on only the California portion of the entire sales ($2000), or on the complete US sales of $30000?
    Also, any California sales tax paid out of our own pocket (uncollected from customers), would also be allowed as an itemised deduction right?

May 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
    I read on the FTB site, that if the California source income is less than $15152, and if you're single and under 65, then one does not need to file a California personal income tax return.
    Is that true, and in this case does the amount of $15152 income refer to the income from any California sales only, or also the worldwide income of the California LLC that I might own?

If there is a need to pay income tax on the California income amount of $2000, at what rate is this to be paid?

At what rate would the California income tax be paid? IS there a California tax rate table available on ftb.gov or elsewhere?

Thanks
    Senior Tax Expert

May 11, 2012, 10:44 AM
    Again, you are NOT paying California income tax on the $2,000.

You are paying on the net profits of your business that is showing griss receipts in excess of $30,000.

Look at the instruction manual for the Form 540. The tax tables will be in there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Employer in Nebraska wants to collect income tax but I live in state w/out income tax [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, new employer whose office is based in Nebraska. I do not live or work in Nebraska. This is a fed gov't agency. They tell me they will collect Nebraska states income tax from my pay. How can they do that? I do spend about 3 weeks a year at the office in Nebraska, staying in a motel while...

Federal corporate income tax treatment on state income tax return [ 0 Answers ]

I know that federal corporation tax is deductible on state corporate tax returns but not on federal corporate returns, but is it deductible on state corporate returns? You may generalize your answer or you may limit it to Florida Form F-1120 if you like. I have been told that it can but I can't...

State Income Tax in nonresident state [ 2 Answers ]

In 2006, I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, CA on active duty orders for 5 months. Recently, I received a letter from California stating that I owe $270 for the tax year of 2006. I never owned a vehicle, house, rental, or anything of the nature that could be taxed. I read The Soldiers’ and Sailor’s...

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida? I have a house that I rented out, I have been told the rental income is subject to sales tax. I had rental property in California, I never paid sales tax the rental income. Can someone please confirm this for me. Thanks

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida? I have a house that I rented out, I have been told the rental income is subject to sales tax. I had rental property in California, I never paid sales tax the rental income. Can someone please confirm this for me....

View more questions Search