Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queenkat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2012, 11:42 AM
    With my name on my boyfriends savins acct. can they take his money for a garnishment
    I signed for my son to get a car when he was 17. That was 20 years ago. Now my boyfriend's savings account has a hold on it. My name is on it, but it's not my money. My name is just there in case I needed to pay a bill for him. What do I do?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
    Apparently there's a judgment against you?

If your name is on the account it IS legally your money.

If the money was seized to pay a Judgment there is nothing you can do except, of course, pursuing your son for not making the payments.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
    Ok, you signed for a car 17 years ago. I will assume he did no pay for the car and someone sued and got a judgement against you and your son.

You have your son or you pay for all of the debt that should have been paid. He will have to go to court and prove the debt is not his and prove that all the money in the account is his, not yours.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Ok, you signed for a car 17 years ago. I will assume he did no pay for the car and someone sued and got a judgement against you and your son.

You have your son or you pay for all of the debt that should have been paid. He will have to go to court and prove the debt is not his and prove that all the money in the account is his, not yours.

It's the boyfriend's account that the money was taken from if I understand this correctly. Unless the boyfriend's funds are somehow protected (SS) her name is on the account and it's joint money. It can be seized if either one of them has a Judgment.

I believe it's comingled and no Court is going to sit through proof of what was deposited and how it was spent.

Or am I missing something?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 31, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I believe it's comingled and no Court is going to sit through proof of what was deposited and how it was spent.

Or am I missing something?
    If they can show that all deposits were made by the boyfriend, they might get relief. But if there are any commingled funds they are stuck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hw can I stop a garnishment that has frozen our cking acct. And is funded by disabili [ 4 Answers ]

Our acct. is disability only. Can they still get the money if garnishment was granted

US Govt confiscated money bank acct [ 7 Answers ]

My two granddaughters had almost $1000 in the bank after the death of their mother. Because of inactivity on this account, the US govt confiscated this money. Surely this money earned interest and was therefor "active" on a regular basis though money had not been added or withdrawn. How do I get...

Bank Acct. Garnishment, can they go in again ? [ 6 Answers ]

We have a judgement against us from a Credit Card Company isssued July 2007. The amount of the judgement was $10,500, plus cost and 8% interest until debt was paid. Long story but we used the card to pay for medical cost not covered by insurance for our son who had two surgeries. Today, I received...

Checking acct garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

I live in the state of Mo. I have a garnishment/hold on my checking account. I am trying to figure out if they can take my child support that is directly deposited into my account. Would anyone know how true that is?

Bank Acct Freeze -garnishment [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I've had a garnishment placed on my bank accts from an old credit card debt, I thought had been paid. Apparently, in 2004 I was served court papers - (I think an old roommate signed for them & never gave them to me) for the court date. Anyway, I did not appear in court. I really was...

View more questions Search