Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jokercrazy95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 04:46 PM
    Physic answers?
    A hiker stands on one end of a canyon and shouts to hear his echo. If it takes 3 secounds for him to hear his echo what is the with of the canyon?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 05:43 AM
    The sound waves have to travel across the canyon and back again for him to hear the echo, so the distance traveled in 3 seconds is two times the width of the canyon. If you know the speed of sound you multiply that by 3 seconds to get the distance traveled across the canyon and back, and then divide by two to get the width of the canyon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free answers to physic questions [ 3 Answers ]

A hang glider n and its piolt have a total mass equal to 120kg. While executing a 360 degree turn, the glider moves in a ciricle with 8-m radius the glider speed is 10 m/s what is the net force of the hanging glider .

Physic? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok... I look into the eyes of animals and can tell their feelings, I can pet WILD animals when no one else can ever get close to them. Is this just in my mind? Please tell me. :p I put this here because most people would think it is fake/fantasy.

Physic [ 1 Answers ]

A car is travelling at 30 mi/hr when a traffic light 295 ft ahead turn yellow . The light wiil remain yellow for 5 seconds before turning red. A) What constant acceleration will cause the car to reach the light at the instant it turns red, and what will the velocity of the car be when it reaches...

View more questions Search