Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cendy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 03:23 PM
    A possible HIPAA violation
    Is it a hippa violation if a hospital employee asked a patient/employee what their correct insurance was, and may have mentioned the word procedure in public where other hospital employee's were having lunch?
    cendy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2012, 03:30 PM
    Hippa violation
    Is the word procedure considered medical information?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 03:36 PM
    It is HIPAA and the word by itself is nothing. Keep in mind only a medical provider can violate HIPAA. Maybe if you could give me a sentence with that word and who said it to who about who, then I could give a more detailed answer
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cendy View Post
    Is it a hippa violation if a hospital employee asked a patient/employee what their correct insurance was, and may have mentioned the word procedure in public where other hospital employee's were having lunch?
    It depends on what capacity that hospital employee works in the hospital. Mentioning the word "procedure" in public is not a HIPAA violation.

The term is HIPAA not hippa.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 03:44 PM
    Also, from what you tell us the employee was talking with the patient. There is no proof or statement that anyone else heard what was said and it certainly was not a disclosure or treatment or condition to a 3rd party. Eavesdropping is not punishable in HIPAA regs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HIPAA violation [ 7 Answers ]

My employer stated that she would not allow me return to work because she thought I might be contagious. My doctor wrote a note stating that I was not suffering from an acute contagious condition. At the bottom she wrote call me with any questions. My employer did call her and was told that I was...

HIPAA violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I am active duty military and we are always told that we are protected by HIPAA. The other day I found out my medical provider told a joke about me to other medical staff regarding one of my diagnosed medical conditions. Is this considered a HIPAA violation?

Hipaa violation [ 4 Answers ]

I had a medical provider that I saw as a result of a car accident. Initially, I had given her permission to speak with the car insurance company. But, later, in wiriting, I advised her to only deal with me directly. She has continued to speak with the insurance company, though only to check the...

HIPAA Violation? [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a federal lawsuit against my employer for discrimination in which I am currently awaiting the summary judgement. Several weeks ago I got hurt not at my place of work but while I was at home. My doctor originally informed me that I could not return to work, and that he would not...

Is this a HIPAA violation? [ 3 Answers ]

If a medical Transcriptionist speaks to a patient whom he knows casually - And about whom he has transcribed a chart note - about that patient's physical condition, is the Transcriptionist in violation of HIPAA? . The patient did not directly tell the Transcriptionist about the physical condition...

View more questions Search