Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    budtree1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2011, 07:24 AM
    Question about tree repair?
    I have a maple tree that has split down trunk but not all the way How can I keep it from breaking apart?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 22, 2011, 07:40 AM
    First off, what diameter is the tree ? Is the split in the Y junction ? I would suggest some serious pruning first to reduce the weight of the limbs pulling the tree further apart. If the tree is not too old, you could use some nuts and bolts, preferably brass, but you will have to drill holes in the most likely spots where the nuts and bolts will do the best job. Of course the joining piece can be anything that is useful, length would be an asset.

Tick
    budtree1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2011, 07:53 AM
    The maple is about 16ins across and about 6yrs old. And can I leave the althread in it afterwards .
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 2, 2011, 04:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by budtree1 View Post
    The maple is about 16ins across and about 6yrs old. And can I leave the althread in it afterwards .
    Any hardware you use to repair the tree will have to stay with it for its livetime.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree - repair of hole in trunk [ 26 Answers ]

My Manitoba maple tree has a trunk about seven feet high, at which point it splits into three limbs extending upwards. At the point where it splits there is a large bowllike hole (filled with mushy rot). Can this tree be repaired by filling this cavity with something like cement or asphalt?

Need help with tree repair [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida and I have a large live oak tree. It has two large limbs that form a V shape a couple of feet down you can see there use to be a large tree limb that had been cut off. A couple of years ago I noticed Woodpeckers pecking on it and squirels digging wood chips until now there is a...

Tree Repair Questions [ 0 Answers ]

This Tree was a gift from my mother-in-law on our wedding. About a year after planting this tree I hit it with the lawn mower and took off some bark. I tried to duck tape it up, that was about two years ago now. The tree has not grown much sense it was planted but it does have a few new growths...

Tree repair questions [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old plus, sweet gum tree that has a place where a very large limb had been sawed of flush wth the tree years ago. This spot is about 18" X 18" and 12" deep with the rotten wood removed. I have cleaned all the dead wood etc.out of hole, sprayed it good with 3M Rubberized Auto...

Tree repair [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 130 foot black locust tree that just lost a large limb from hurricane Ike. There is plenty of new growth at the top of the tree with no sign of disease. A lower limb broke off and unfortunately the tree crew towed it away so I was unable to check the leaves, but from a distance it looked...

View more questions Search