Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennyroyal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 11:39 AM
    Residency rule and US China tax treaty benefits for students
    Dear Expert,

I am very confused about how to qualify for the benefits for students under US China tax treaty. My wife has been here for one year and a half on F-2 visa. She will go back to China, apply for F-1 there and come back to the US. Some people said, to be eligible for the treaty benefits, she has to stay in China for at least a full year immediately before she comes to US on F-1. But why does she have to reestablish Chinese residency? The things is, she has been a non-resident alien in the US. So for tax purposes, she has always been a Chinese resident. By the same logic, I think even if she applies for change of status within the US (without going back to apply for F1 in China), she would still qualify for the benefits. Is that right?

Thanks

Ben
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 5, 2011, 03:21 PM
    I am of the considered opinion that your wife does NOT have to re-establish Chinese residence to claim the tax treaty benefits asscoiated with being a student. Your logic seems correct to me, in that she has NEVER abandoned her Chinese residency by being in the U.S. under the F-2 visa.
    pennyroyal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2011, 07:57 PM
    Thanks so much for your opinion!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident Alien claim China-US tax treaty benefits? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of People's Republic of China and currently studying in the states as a F1 student. This is my sixth year in the states. I just recently married to an American citizen. We filed my green card application in early June, 2007. We are expecting to adjust my status to permanent...

Re-establishing residency and claiming treaty benefits multiple times [ 3 Answers ]

In 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006 I did summer internships at US universities (F-1 student), no longer than 10 weeks each. In 2004, 2005, 2006 I Received a fellowship or wages from a given school and I filed tax Returns for those years, each time claiming Tax Treaty benefits on the Grounds of Article...

Tax treaty with China [ 3 Answers ]

I am a financial advisor. I have friends who are residents of China that would like to invest in mutual funds, real estate, and annuities here in the United States. They are Chinese citizens - no social security number. Can this be done and is there a 30% backup withholding rate for any gains? Or...

F-1 Student from Germany, Five-Year Rule, Scholarship, Tax Treaty Benefits, 1042-S [ 1 Answers ]

I am a graduate student from Germany. I had been in the United States on a J-1 from 1998 to 1999 and from 2004 to 2005. I have been in the United States on an F-1 since August 15, 2006. According to the five-year rule, I am therefore a resident alien for tax purposes as of 2007. My sole income...

View more questions Search