Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darion24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 07:14 AM
    What are our right as a nanny who feels they are getting fired/evicted for unlawful r
    My Fiancé and I were hired as Live-In Nanny and part house keeper. A formal contract was never signed so everything was verbal, which gave her the ability to change or completely not live up to her end of the deal (for example... only getting 2 paychecks in 5 months). My Fiancé has health issues which were known before a job was ever discussed, and we were in a car accident less than a month ago. WE're going to PT 3 times a week for the accident. Shortly after she had us pack, and clean her 4 br house while we were in pain and offered no help, bonus or even a 'Thank You' when it was done. She is not getting all her deposit back and is blaming us when we spoke to the landlord he assured us that it was because of her actions and nothing to do with us. The two of us and my two children live with her in her house. She is now firing/evicting us for very unclear reasons. We have no money saved to go anywhere because has not paid us. What are our rights. Is there anything we can do? Im scared and worried where Im going to go with my children.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2011, 07:42 AM

I'm sure you are aware your mistake was "forgiving" her when she didn't pay you. That was the time to take action. Some of this depends on where you are - what Country or State.

Your State is probably an "employment at will State" (and you have said there is no written contract) and she is able to terminate you at any time, for a reason or for no reason. Whether you are a TENANT or RESIDENT is another not-so-clear problem. This has been asked on the Board before.

IF the living quarters are part of the employment "agreement" (and verbal agreements can be binding on both parties) and that employment is terminated, yes, you can be asked to leave. The Police are not going to be part of throwing you out, by the way. If you are locked out they may or may not get involved. Of course, nothing legal is 100% guaranteed.

Your employer can move to evict you according to the laws of your State. She will succeed with an eviction. Of course, if the landlord evicts her you will also be evicted. (I am confused about how the landlord knows which one of the three adults caused the damage to his property.)

You can also contact your State's Wage and Hour (or whatever commission regulates employment/wages in your area) but thos actions take time and, again, payment has been sporadic and it would appear you have little evidence to support your version of how/what you were to be paid.

I would begin looking for another place to live immediately.
    jesenia86 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
    Hi I know a friend who worked for someone that has an aunt who is disabled.. my friend made a agreement on paper & contract for my friend to move in with her two young children at the inlaw apartment where the elderly lived,her job duties on contract was to take care of the elderly every night from 8pm till 8am and my friend will live in the inlaw apt. rent free.. just yesterday the landlord/boss had told her she would have to move & can no longer work for no reason at all,the contract they also signed was a lease agreement stating a one year lease pretending she's paying 950$ in rent for landlords/boss records! My friend collects ssi for her 2 yr old who is autism & she's afraid on where to go,if they had a year lease & also a paper stating she will work to get free rent! Another thing too,this landlord aunt gets help through elderly services daily & nights,but were not sure where is the night pay going too! She she illegally evict her? Its July 25th & landlord told her she has to move out by aug 15 or she will have to pay rent for August 950$ that she can't afford! Any info will be great thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's your nanny? [ 17 Answers ]

The nanny state has come to this... I'm literally speechless.

Can I get evicted from a separate tenant getting evicted [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Florida and live in a house with 3 other people, one which is my brother and he has been late on rent.. the oowner wants to evict him.. would the landlord have the right to evict me just because I'm his brother

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Not fired, then fired, after boss was beat [ 6 Answers ]

I was called in the office and confronted about time differences on the time sheet. I had to wait for a customer to get home that morning, (30 min.). I called the office and informed them. So I added 15 extra minutes to my time. I was told that I couldn't do that. I asked was I being fired for it...

View more questions Search