Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Feb 27, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Do I need to format after virus infection, or just reload Windows
    Yikes!

In the middle of a fresh install, I picked up a massive viral infection (stupidity on my part). I quarantined them all with MalwareBytes, but who knows.

I'm not taking any chances with a fresh install, so I will reload Windows XP. Since it's an UPGRADE CD from Win98, if I format, I must 1st load Win98 before loading the XP UPGRADE.

My question is this: If I just insert the XP UPGRADE CD and reinstall from there without formatting the HDD, with this wipe out everything including any residual infection, or is it better to reformat, and start from absolute scratch.

PS: I know the virus messed with the registry.
    Pisha Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2011, 01:08 AM
    I suggest to format and re-install again because of registry infection.
    After that use avira personal edition(free) anti-virus.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 06:36 AM

As far as I am aware you can boot from this upgrade CD and reformat/install. However, during this install I think you will be required to insert a qualifying disc (ie: Win98) to show that it is indeed an upgrade... maybe I am way off but I thought that's how upgrade CD's worked.

mitchsc: When you upgrade from ME/9x to XP is essentially backs up your data and does a clean install of XP then applies your data back onto XP. THis is done because 9x and XP are two different technologies (DOS vs NT platform). But when this is done it also backs up your Win98 install to revert back in case of issues... so, going back to 98 shouldn't be that difficult. (time consuming maybe)

Pisha: As far as an AV, to each their own! I love Malwarebytes but.. it's not an active scanning AV so I use it on a daily basis and use safe browsing techniques.

Mar 3, 2011, 07:37 AM
    Is a Quick Format enough, or should I do a Full Format?

What is the difference?

PS: I use CA Security Suite in real time, and Malwarebytes weekly of if I get an infection that gets past CA.
    Networking Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 09:15 AM

"When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged."
    -MSFT

Mar 3, 2011, 12:17 PM
    Thanks IT. One last thing I've been wondering about.

I have this HDD that was infected, but also contains XP, so it's still running the PC.

Since I plan to do a fresh install of the OS, I want to do a full format first.

I only know how to do the format within Windows, either right clicking on the drive in My Computer, or inside Disk Management.

Here's my question, If I'm running Windows, and I start formatting the drive that is operating the computer, isn't this going to cause the PC to crash, as it's wiping out the OS?

If so, how can you format the HDD with the OS on it?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 3, 2011, 12:34 PM
    A repair install with the XP disc should do the trick.

Here's how: How-to repair Windows XP - With screen shots

Mar 3, 2011, 12:43 PM
    Wow! That is perfect! Thank you so much.

PS: I most certainly would have selected the "Repair" option on screen one. Not sure why you wouldn't...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 06:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    Thanks IT. One last thing I've been wondering about.

I have this HDD that was infected, but also contains XP, so it's still running the PC.

Since I plan to do a fresh install of the OS, I want to do a full format first.

I only know how to do the format within Windows, either right clicking on the drive in My Computer, or inside Disk Management.

Here's my question, If I'm running Windows, and I start formatting the drive that is operating the computer, isn't this going to cause the PC to crash, as it's wiping out the OS?

If so, how can you format the HDD with the OS on it?

Your confusing yourself. The OS is in resident memory until it is removed. Has nothing to do with the Hard Drive. So if you wipe it clean it will still work partially until you turn it off. If nothing critical is on the drive why not wipe the drive clean and then format then install your OS so you have the cleanest of boot ups.

Mar 3, 2011, 06:40 PM
    C-Dad: That's exactly what I want to do. I AM confused as to how. That is what I was asking IT.

Are you saying that the OS moves from the HDD to RAM (is that what you mean by "resident memory")?

You say, "wipe it clean and then format". What do you mean by wipe it clean. I thought that was formatting.

Just to be clear, are you saying I can do this within Windows, without using the XP Boot CD?

If there is a specific procedure here, could you please lay out the steps for me? I've never formatted a HDD in it's own PC before. I have only formatted a secondary drive, or using a USB adapter in another PC (very slow).

Thanks. I really want to learn how to do this properly and as clean as possible.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 3, 2011, 07:38 PM

Once you format the drive you will have to reinstall the OS from the cd / dvd. Wiping means to overwrite the contents so it can no longer be seen. Believe it or not yes you can format a drive but someone can also unformat a drive. So for security you can wipe it clean first.

You can use a free program called ccleaner.

Redirecting...

Under tools you can see some options for you to choose from.
    Networking Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 06:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    A repair install with the XP disc should do the trick.

Here's how: How-to repair Windows XP - With screen shots
    Since this is an upgrade disc, even during a repair install wouldn't it ask for a qualifying disc? Also, a Repair Install will replace the system files with the ones found on the CD but will leave your applications, files and settings where they are. So any infection residing in a non-system file will remain after the repair... right?

Mitch said he had quarantined them via MBAM but we all know how sketchy freeware AV's are. (assuming it's the free version)

Mar 4, 2011, 07:57 AM
    I am psyched! I have been using CCleaner for years and never noticed the "wipe" function. Thanks! I always used Active Kill Disk for that.

So C-Dad, how exactly do I format the HDD that is installed and operating the computer, (within Windows)?
    Networking Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    I am psyched! I have been using CCleaner for years and never noticed the "wipe" function. Thanks! I always used Active Kill Disk for that.

So C-Dad, how exactly do I format the HDD that is installed and operating the computer, (within Windows)?
    Why do it within Windows? Why not just boot to CD and delete partition, recreate, install, etc..
    BossMan

Mar 4, 2011, 11:29 AM
    You CANNOT "wipe" the boot (C drive) from within windows.

Mar 4, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Ben: That's what I thought. This made no sense to me. Thank you.

IT: I am trying to get the simplest, most sensible method of "exterminating" a massive viral infected HDD, and doing a fresh install of XP.

I have been reading so many different suggestions in this thread, that I have become more confused then when I started.

I was always under the impression that a full format will clean up an infected drive, so I can reload XP. (Someone said Wiping the drive was necessary, but I thought that might be overkill)

The suggestion that makes the most sense to me, is booting the PC from the XP CD, formatting the infected HDD in the XP Setup procedure, and then just finishing up with the install. No need to pre-format or wipe the HDD before doing this.

Can someone just tell me if this is the correct and most straightforward way to go? Believe it or not, this is the 1st viral infection I've had to deal with.

Thanks all...
    BossMan

Mar 4, 2011, 01:39 PM
    As I said earlier, try a repair install before you go for the full format rebuild.
    Networking Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 02:47 PM
    As I said earlier, try a repair install before you go for the full format rebuild.
    Ben: As I asked above, a Repair Install will replace the system files with the ones found on the CD but will leave your applications, files and settings where they are. So any infection residing in a non-system file will remain after the repair... right?

So an infection residing in a non-system file will remain even after a repair is ran. Which puts Mitch in the same spot he is in now correct?
    BossMan

Mar 4, 2011, 02:55 PM
    True enough, but it also helps with rogue information in the registry.
    Also I did say it was a first try before more desperate measures.
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 4, 2011, 03:01 PM
    You CANNOT "wipe" the boot (C drive) from within windows.
    Can you define that? Im asking because any program running in resident memory can execute so long as it is in memory.

That is why I said to wipe then format and install new OS. The drive wipe takes place within the last install of the OS before it gets cleaned off.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foldername.exe virus infection [ 1 Answers ]

Since I had a use my friend's Flash memory I'm suffering this problem. In Every folder there exist "exe" file of parent foldername. Most my hard disk space is eaten up by those foldername.exe. Is this virus be deleted completely from the Hard Disk without formatting the disk:confused:? Help me I'm...

Can a windows xp virus effect windows vista? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My pendrive was infected by a virus called "jambanmu" which is either a malaysian or Indonesian virus. If I put my pendrive into a windows xp computer the virus will stop the computer from using few stuff. As for my pendrive the virus doesn't allow me to reformat it. If I use a windows vista...

Virus/spyware infection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, my PC was recently infected with a virus. Now I am a regular user of Crap Cleaner and Ad-Aware (I use both at least twice weekly), but my anti-virus protection was lacking. Anyway I used Norton 2006 to try and rid my PC of the virus but found it largely ineffective. I'm now using Zone...

Reload Windows from Internet [ 7 Answers ]

My laptop has a broken cdrom & floppy drive. The hard drive says it has a virus and cannot locate where the message gets generated from. Conclusion: Reload Windows. Who can reload the software for me.

View more questions Search