Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wealthyplace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Who is a Co-signer?
    Relative was joining multi-level marketing company and asked if she could use me as a potential co-signer, if needed. She completed the application and put my social security number on the application, along with contact information if I was needed as a co-signer. I was never contacted and did not sign any document giving the company the right to include me as a co-signer. The applicant defaulted. I never received notice of the default. Subsequently, the company sent info to credit bureau on both the relative and me. What can I do to have this removed from my credit report since I did not sign a document? Does Georgia have a Fair Credit Act or any regulations?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 29, 2010, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wealthyplace View Post
    Subsequently, the company sent info to credit bureau on both the relative and me. What can I do to have this removed from my credit report since I did not sign a document? Does Georgia have a Fair Credit Act or any regulations?
    Hello wealthy:

I don't know if Georgia has an act that protects consumers, but the feds do. It's the "Fair Credit Reporting Act". You can certainly cite the act in the letter I'm going to recommend you write. Certainly you can quote civil tort law too.

Write this letter saying exactly what you told us. DEMAND they remove any derogatory remarks from your credit reports. Tell them you are going to challenge the remarks with the credit bureaus, and if it is NOT removed when the credit bureau makes their inquiry, you'll sue them. Send the letter certified, return receipt requested.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 29, 2010, 11:23 AM

Why did you supply them your social ?
    And did they "sign" your name for you perhaps ?

You need to check to see if this is on all of the credit reporting agencies or just one at ths time ( run a credit check on self though all of the three major ones)

Write them a letter disputing the listing of this, and ask them to remove it.

Write the multi level marketing company and inform them you are not a co/signer and that you are not responsible for the debt.

Write your friend and tell them you need them to take care of this debt since it is now effecting you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wanted signer, paid via their website. Still need a signer if they accepted payment? [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord wanted a cosigner, but I paid rent via their website. Do I still need a signer if they accepted payment? Texas

What can a co signer do if they are on the title but the main signer has the title? [ 0 Answers ]

Okay so I am going through a divorce and my soon to be ex's mom co signed on my car her car blew up and I gave the car to her and she took over the payments and evertthing it has been about nine months that she has had it well being the people that they are they are dragging this divorce out making...

Can co-signer take car? [ 12 Answers ]

I live with the person who co-signed on my car, on the title of the car and on the loan I had to take out to get it. I want to move out. They said, if I go, the car has to stay because they co-signed. Legally, if I just leave with the car, can they do anything to take it?

Me and co-signer [ 6 Answers ]

I have a question. I recently got an auto-loan with my friend co-signed for me, since my credit wasn't good enough to get a regular loan. Supposedly, I was in the prime and my friend is co-signer... which I don't really understand what they meant by me being prime... Anyway, I have no...

Getting out of being a co-signer [ 6 Answers ]

My wife has co-signed for a friend of 15+ years and just had a falling out. What can WE do to get my wife off the rental agreement. Oh, BTW, her friend would not have been able to get this apartment had it not been for my wife co-signing for her. Please help.

View more questions Search