Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LABTECH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 06:34 AM
    HIPPA Violation
    I am the Lab Manager of a POL. I caught a front office staff member trying to look up lab results for a patient under. I know this is a HIPAA violation, but if I report it will the entire practice get fined? The patient records she was trying to look up were actually for the Dr. who owns the practice. We specifically ordered his results under a confidential file so this would not happen. What should I do?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2010, 06:41 AM

I don't believe you need to report this to HIPAA because a violation does not appear to have actually occurred. As you said, the staffer was "trying" to look up the info but it appears was unsuccessful. Part of the reason that it was unsuccessful seems to be because protocol was followed and the records flagged as confidential.

Therefore, the practice did not violate HIPAA, only an employee attempted to. So what you should do is take appropriate action against the employee. I don't know what that should be since I don't know the whole circumstances. It could be simply a warning that is placed in her employee file or it could be termination of employment.
    LABTECH Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2010, 06:51 AM
    Thank you so much for your quick response. I will, of course, let the Dr. in question take the lead on her punishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

HIPPA Violation [ 5 Answers ]

At an assisted living facilty we have a monthly calendar that list the 1st name, last initial of residents who reside there. This is not a nursing home. Also listed is the day and year, for example: Happy Birthday to Betty B - 3, 1918. Would this be considered a this a violation of HIPAA?...

HIPPA violation [ 4 Answers ]

Is it a HIPPA violation for a hospital employee to tell a family member or friend where a patient went if they were transferred to another hospital?

HIPPA violation [ 11 Answers ]

How do you handle a HIPPA violation. I feel like my privacy has really been violated. I was diagnosed last Friday with shingles and my unit manager told all the other employees. I feel like I'll be going back to work with a stigma attached to me. Where do I go from here? Thanks

Hippa violation? [ 5 Answers ]

I was recently discharged last month from a medical center and was brought in the ER for psych reasons. The person who registered me according to the other staff, Called his cousin my former supervisor who notified my manager. I was told by admitting Staff there that during the 24hrs there, the...

View more questions Search