Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    live_life_88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 12:13 PM
    I have been injured due to problems in my apartment, what can I do? Philadelphia
    Hello I signed a least to rent an apartment in may of this year. I paid security deposit, first, and last month rent. When I got to my apartment on my move in date August 1, with all of my belongings to my surprise the steps were falling down, the stove didn't work, there were exposed electrical wires, no covers on outlets, the lights kept going on and off for no reason, there was no knob or lock on emergency exit, basement had standing water and smelled of mildew. I repeatedly called the landlord who didn't respond to my calls for days then days turned to weeks. I have repeatedly begged her to fix the unlivable conditions. I also called housing in August and they just came out last week. They found 76 violations. And to make matters worse yesterday I fell threw the steps and hurt myself. What can I do? I want out. I have to go to hospital which is going to make me miss work and school. My back and arm are killing me. I have taken lots of pictures along with my roommate and other tenants in the building. Please help me!! Just want to live in a safe place. Philadelphia,PA
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2010, 01:06 PM

Didn't you do a walk-thru BEFORE you signed a lease? Most people do. And its something everyone SHOULD do.

Yes there are some things you can do and I'll leave those details to those who know them best.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 02:15 PM

Good advice. You can do 2 things. Call the Health Department and ask them to determine if the place is uninhabitable. You can also consider sueing the LL for your injury.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 2, 2010, 04:40 PM

Yes, sue them for the damages is my first suggestion..

But you should have seen all the bad things when you inspected the apartment before renting?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I break my apartment lease due to disability? [ 6 Answers ]

I have been diagnosed with Photosensitive Epilepsy which causes seizures when I'm on the computer. I have had to quit 2 jobs in the past 8 months due to seizures on the job, and now try to freelance from home to bring in my income. I can no longer afford the apartment I'm in because of this,...

What is due for rent after 3 days in an apartment [ 1 Answers ]

I am in Massachusettes. I have given a 30 day plus 3 days of the next month notice. I am an at will tenant. The landlord is telling me that I need to pay a full months rent for the extra 30 days is this right or is it prorated? They are also telling me that I have to prove I paid my last months...

How to terminate apartment lease due to medical condition [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas. I have just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and the doctor is placing me on Methotrexate. I live alone and the doctor does not think this is wise due to the bad side effects. Can I break an apartment lease early due to my medical condition as I have to move in with my...

Break apartment lease due to job relocation [ 2 Answers ]

Six days after signing a new 6-month lease on our apartment in Palm Bay, Florida, my employer closed the local office and transferred me effective immediately to the Cape Canaveral office. Is there any way I can get out of this lease? Working in Cape Canaveral will extend my daily commute by 45...

Liability problems for adults injured on trampolines? [ 3 Answers ]

My 19 year old daughter has a tramp at a house she is Renting with other college students. The yard is fenced In so neighborhood kids should not be able to use it. Would it help protect from lawsuits if a sign Explaining the dangers was on the tramp? Would it help if anyone who used it...

View more questions Search