Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    burts Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 04:39 PM
    IE won't connect to internet
    HI - I'm running XP, Modem/DSL. FireFox connects to internet, but IE6 or IE7 won't. Because of no IE connection, some apps, e.g. Quicken won't connect either. Earthlink suggests running Norton Anti-virus. Anyone have a idea?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 14, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Make sure you have checked your connection in;
    Tools > Internet Properties > Connection tab.
    Ensure never dial is selected and then go to LAN Settings and UNcheck everything.

Dec 15, 2006, 04:15 PM
    Curlyben - thanks, I'll try. I have tried to uncheck all boxes in Connections, Lan Setting, but I can't seem to make the unchecks "stay" unchecked for the proxy servers. It neves says "apply". burts
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 15, 2006, 04:18 PM
    Clicking OK and OK should be fine.
    This certainly sounds like the root of your problem.

In my opinion you'd be better off dumping IE altogether and moving to Firefox, it makes IE look like the lame donkey it really is.
    Best of all it's Fast and Free
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Dec 16, 2006, 01:32 AM
    Hi Burts,
    One other possible solution. If IE is immediately crashing or automatically closing on you, go under Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" and then restart your computer. Sometimes this can be caused by a bad browser extension.
    Hope this is of some help. Take care. :)

Dec 16, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Curleyben - I do have and use Firefox. Problem is that without IE, can't get updates to XP or get some apps to update. I've spoken to the apps vendors with varying results, e.g. Quicken says, "gee sorry, we only connect with IE", etc. Burts

Thomas1970 - I'll try, thanks. Burts
    Blackie13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    Exactly what I needed to do, thank you.
    Eagles99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    Hi Burts,
    One other possible solution. If IE is immediately crashing or automatically closing on you, go under Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and uncheck "Enable third-party browser extensions" and then restart your computer. Sometimes this can be caused by a bad browser extension.
    Hope this is of some help. Take care. :)
    Thanks, Thomas. This is exactly the problem I had. IE6 stopped connecting.Upgraded to IE7,and still had the problem.Unchecked "Enable third-party browser extension and
    BINGO it starts working.I have to admit I do use Firefox 99% of the time.
    driswill Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Comment on Curlyben's post
    This Answer worked. Firefox could connect wireless connection, but not IE. However, IE connected on DialUp. The changes to IE outlined here brought back wireless the connection. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless connection connected but can't connect to the internet [ 6 Answers ]

Hello! I just hooked up a Linksys wireless router to my PC, and I have a connection on my laptop, but I get a "the page cannot be displayed" message when I try to connect to the internet. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks!

How come my computer doesn't connect to the internet through dialup [ 7 Answers ]

What can I do to make my computer connect to the internet using dialup :confused:

Can't connect to network or internet [ 1 Answers ]

I can't get an ip address on my desktop. It is connected to the network that already has 2 laptops connected to it via a router. Both of the laptops are also communicating with the internet via the router which is connected to the modem.

Not Being Able To Connect [ 1 Answers ]

Facing prob when I'm trying to connect web through mobile phone . Prob is a fax modem already there in the laptop. So when trying with datacable its showing error messege "this modem is used by another usser" Please make the solution fast. That I can logon through the mobile phone Thanks

View more questions Search