Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessicajanc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Can you reimburse yourself when putting on a fundraiser function if you are a 501c3?
    I have a foundation that is a 501c3. I want to put on a fundraiser event. Am I able to take some of the money that I spend out of my pocket for the event and reimburse myself before giving the charity of choice the money raised?

{Mod note: Please choose the forum to post in more carefully, This was originally posted in Child and Teen Health which is has nothing to do with.}
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2010, 05:39 PM

Valid expenses can be taken off the top from the proceeds.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2010, 06:32 PM

The trouble as I see it, why does the 501c3 not have its own funds to operate. If this is a start up operation, you could loan the corporation money and then it would pay you back, be sure to write it up and keep it in writing, with receipts given and paper work of the loan. With that, your corporation needs to have funds to operate and not give all of its money away. Are you donating money to it also,
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 26, 2010, 06:17 AM

No - you do not take some of the money and reimburse yourself, but rather you must submit ALL the money you collect in the fund raiser to the charity, THEN submit an expense report to the charity and they should reimburse you for your valid out-of-pocket expenses.

I'm a bit concerned that you wrote that you "have a foundation which is a 501c3." Remember, this is not YOUR foundation - you do not own it, and you must perform all financial transacation at arm's length, with a proper paper trail that can be audited. A word of caution about 501c3 governance - not only must you not do anything improper with funds, you also must not give the impression that you might be doing something improper. So take the extra step and follow proper procedures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fundraiser and charity [ 1 Answers ]

I want to know on how coul I do my own fundraiser and charity on the hunger and the poor?:od

Personal fundraiser [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single parent to my high school daughter, she is wanting to be in cheerleading. I went to the meeting last night only to find out they have no scholarship programs or fundraisers for people who can not afford it its over 1600. For her to be a cheerleader. While this my not be significant to...

Health ins. Reimburse [ 1 Answers ]

My accountant advised that I reimburse myself for insurance premiums paid in 2008, and that it would have to be added as income on my w2. Where does this need to be added?

Allowable fundraiser [ 1 Answers ]

A small local organization has asked our 501C3 organization to join in the publication of a business directory listing members of both organizations that are small business owners. Businesses would pay to be listed. Is this a permissible activity for a charity?

Must We Reimburse Housemate? [ 2 Answers ]

Our new housemate asked if he could paint his room before he moved in. He seemed worried about it not being painted in time for his move, and didn't want to do the painting himself. Our landlord said that he could paint the room (though it didn't really need it), and paid $100 for the paint. The...

View more questions Search