Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paris5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2010, 07:27 AM
    My stepson has horrible manners
    I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for about 3 1/2 years. He has a son who is 13... He has disgusting table manners, slurping and licking his fingers and burping. It makes me want to scream!! He has no responsibilities and does nothing to contribute to the cleaning of the house. He never cleans his room or his bathroom! I refuse to clean up after a teenager. I have voiced some of my concerns to his father but have had no luck. His father thinks that because he does OK in school, he should have free rein to be a complete slob! He interupts when we talk and texts during dinner...

I could go on and on but I love him and want him to be better. What do I do with no help from his parent?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2010, 07:44 AM

Teenage boys! Mostly the behaviour you describe is normal.

Its really up to his father and mother to teach him,and tell him how to behave.

To be honest,it may not go down well with his parents if you try to pull rank.

What I do suggest,is making house rules,for everyone,everyone has a job to do in the house,lead by example.

Offer to go shopping with him for some new posters for his room,or something that he would like,but first,he has to clean his room...

I bet he has the table manners of a saint in other peoples houses,in my experience the majority of 13 year old boys are muck monsters,try finding another way that he can help around the house and praise him to a height.
    BigE285 Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
    You need to put your foot down. If its your house, its your rules. Your boyfriend should be able to respect that.
    mrshodges Posts: 208, Reputation: 34

Jul 11, 2010, 11:01 AM

I am a little mean on the subject but my step kids nor my birth kids mess with me. It is my house you do what I say or you can move if your old enough or you will see nothing but 4 blank walls. If I cook it you eat it. My kids, nor my husband would even dream of bringing a phone to my table. You have have to make yourself be heard. I don't see how it is fair that you have to be uncomfortable while a teenager can do whatever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whatever happened to manners? [ 35 Answers ]

Maybe I need to vent. Maybe I need someone else's opinion, I don't know. Whatever happened to manners? Being a 40 something year old male from the south, where we USED to be proud of chivalry, I'm appalled at today's youth's lack of common courtesy and basic manners. Yes, there is a small...

Preschooler-poor table manners [ 5 Answers ]

I run a small preschool, and I have a new student, he is 3 1/2 years old. He is a very, very slow eater, and he does not eat very much at meals. But while he is eating he rocks back and forth, is constantly moving, opens his mouth to show me what he has chewed, he also talks a lot and plays...

To the people who have poor bus manners? [ 3 Answers ]

I never understand why people on the bus or train never use their brains,much less manners to exit out the back door of the bus? Why are you going to squeeze your smelly body through a crowd of people just to go out the front door? Come on people! Can anyone relate?

South Asian Manners [ 5 Answers ]

Ok, this is in no way meant to be a racist thread, I am genuinly curious about this... I've noticed that the majority of posts coming from this area of the World are devoid of any manners, i.e. they do not say please or thank you. The posts are like "I WANT THIS ANSWER, I WANT IT NOW" ...

View more questions Search