Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dina H Posts: 24, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 12:08 PM
    Why sodium acetate freez faster than salt
    Why does soduim acetate freez faster than salt and sugar?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 12:17 PM

What do you mean? Why sodium acetate becomes solid faster than salt or sugar?

Sodium acetate solidifies at about in the whereabouts of 300 C and salt in the whereabouts of 800 C. On cooling, salt will 'freeze' first.

Feb 5, 2010, 12:20 PM

Noo lsn I was in skool while I'm doing my 3 exprmnts all of them was same amount of water the salt and sugar and soduim acetate but 1 exprmnt workd and other not :s I wna know why

Feb 5, 2010, 12:21 PM
    But it turnd to be soduim got freezd 1 and the other didn't
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 12:26 PM

Also, try to write in proper English. That being said...

So, you mean the solutions of sodium acetate, salt and water, each of three were in the experiment. As from then, I don't know what you did actually.

Did you add x masses of sodium acetate, salt and sugar each to separate y volumes of water? And the sodium acetate got cold?

Feb 5, 2010, 12:30 PM

Okay no 3 difrnt expirmnt 1 is salt 2 is sugar 3 is soduim acetate the soduim acetate +water the mas gave me11.47 4 sugar mass 8.67 and 4 salt mas -8.79 when I finshd my 3 expirmnt I put them in the fridge 4 2 hours on of them workd which is sodum acetate so I want to know why other did work they didn't freez
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 5, 2010, 12:31 PM
    Please read this announcement before posting again: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/teens/...ens-board.html

Feb 5, 2010, 12:33 PM

What I want to know is why soduim acetate is faster than salt and suagr by frezing

Feb 5, 2010, 12:40 PM

Would u reply
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 12:46 PM

Ok, I got an equation from Wikipedia (and I'll ask you again to write in proper English, not in text message. I had a hard time trying to 'decipher' that '4' was indeed 'for' and not a number in the masses)

T_f(pure) is the freezing point of water (0 C)
    T_f(impure) is the freezing point of the impure solution
    K_f is a constant, so we'll not be looking into it.
    m_B is the concentration of the solution.

Ok, that means that the freezing point of the impure solution is inversely proportional to the concentration of the solution.

The more concentrated, the lower will be the freezing point. Now, each compound will has its own dissociation (dissolving extent) in water. From that, I will guess that sodium acetate does not dissolve in water as readily as does salt or sugar, and hence will have a smaller concentration, meaning a higher freezing point.

Feb 5, 2010, 12:53 PM

But why within 2 hours the soduim acetate freezd while other still liquid
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 12:59 PM

That also means that the other two have a much lower freezing point. Ok, let me make it like that:

Let's say sodium acetate freezes at -2 C, salty solution at -5 C and sugary at -7 C.

Your freezer can go down to -4 C

Hence, at -2 C the sodium acetate will start becoming solid while the other two are still liquid. At -3 C the sodium acetate is solid and the others still liquid and finally at -4 C, the situation doesn't change.

Feb 5, 2010, 01:04 PM

That doesn't make any sense tel me why it got freezd and other didn't
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 01:06 PM

Can you tell me why that doesn't make any sense? I may be overlooking something, and if I do, what do you suggest?

Feb 5, 2010, 01:10 PM

I have phase 3 to submit cause that doesn't make sense to my expirment my whole question is why the soduim acetate got freezd and other didn't ? Why like it only took two hours to freez while other didn't
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 01:13 PM

Because the mixture of sodium acetate has a higher freezing point that the other two, something that I'm saying for the third time.

Feb 5, 2010, 01:15 PM

Stop giving talking to me in that rude way and why the other two doesn't have high frezing point ?
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 01:23 PM

I'm not being rude. I already told you those. Ok, I'll say it once more.

The other mixtures contain different compounds, which behave differently to water compared to sodium acetate. The salt mixture, for example, will behave in such a way that it will have a lower freezing point. The sugar mixture will behave some other way and will have yet another freezing point.

They all, however also depend on concentration. Both factors contribute to lowering the freezing point. It only happens that sugar and salt lower the freezing point more than sodium acetate.

Feb 5, 2010, 01:27 PM

Yes you are I don't get it I swear what can I write in my phase 3 why they didn't freez only soduim acetate did in a fster way within 2 hours only

Feb 5, 2010, 01:45 PM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the chemical equation of sodium and lead acetate [ 1 Answers ]

What is the chemical equation of sodium and lead acetate

Honda Anti Freez [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm new here A I was Wondering How Do I repair The anti freez on a 1991 honda accord step by step:)

Salt pellet damage to car from salt truck [ 2 Answers ]

Re: Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). My car was pelted by salt pellets being sprayed on the Kennedy Expy. Near Chicago. The pavement was totally dry thus causing the pellets to fly into my car which was traveling at 55 mph, damaging the hood and fenders extensively to the tune of over...

View more questions Search