Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    04051958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2010, 07:31 AM
    What would you do with a 23 yr old son who doesn't help himself? Uk
    My 23 year old son does not seem to have any respect for me. I separated from his father when my son was 14 he then chose to live with his dad. His dad has bad mouthed me consistently and then his dad started kicking him out of home when he was 16yrs. Since he was 16 I have constantly tried to help with education, transport, money and put him through his driving test. This weekend I tried to buy him a car Ok its not the best car just a run around to help him get get about. The car was will not be ready till Monday and I've just got a text from him saying he doesn't want it instead he prefers to drive his other car that has not mot, tax or insurance. I am so scared that he will get caught does anyone else suffer stuff like this
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 07:55 AM
    Since he is 23, it's time to cut the apron strings and let him do as he chooses. He has to learn that there are consequences to his actions.

Let him drive his other car. If he gets in trouble, he will have to deal with it. He's a big boy now, you can't keep bailing him out.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Jan 23, 2010, 11:36 AM

I agree with Ben.

The only thing I would add, is to let your son know that you aren't going to fix this problem for him by getting tags and insurance. Then let his dad know.

The more he learns from his mistakes now, the better adult he will be later.

Stay strong.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2010, 12:59 AM
    Time to cut the umbilical cord. He's made up his own mind about you and he's made up his own mind about the car. He is the only one that can help himself, and he will have to learn from his mistakes. Accept his decision, it's out of your hands.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I evict my son, girlfriend, and son from my home? [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I currently have my son, girfriend and son living at our house. He is a recovering drug addict who still causes us trouble. He argues with us, me especially,and beats me up. Two weeks after open heart surgery, he threw me into a wall by pushing me in the chest. Just recently while I was...

I live in Florida and my fathers son is in Indiana does my son have to go there? [ 4 Answers ]

I moved to Florida 3yrs ago.. my sons father is in Indiana and has not been much in his life when he has been it has been heartache for my little boy... so much to the point I have him in thearpy... and he has been bakeracked... now out of the blue my sons father wants to go to court to get...

My son is wanting custody of his son who is in foster care [ 2 Answers ]

This is such a confusing situation and we cannot seem to get answers from anyone. My sons ex-girlfriend had a child that we did not even know about. She had told him she was pregnant when they broke up but then no one ever heard anything else about it, so we assumed that she was just using...

What rights does my 16 yr old son have to his 2 month old baby son [ 11 Answers ]

Ok I am new to this... My 16 yr old son and his 18 yr old girlfriend had a baby 2 months ago.. and she has been threathening him before the baby was born about paying child support and her mother also when they have a fight... Ever since my grandson was born its been hell for us my son goes to...

How can adopt my wife's son (my step son) [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's ex husband doesn't really take care of his son. He doesn't call or anything. The only thing that we get is approximately $45 every 2-3 weeks but that amount varies. I on the other hand have been providing everything for my wife's son even before we got married since her son was about 3...

View more questions Search