Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    byarbrough Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2009, 03:33 PM
    Mandatory withdrawal of 401K
    Wht is the minimum percentage I have to start withdrawing at 70?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 07:28 AM

Starting in April of the year after you reach age 70-1/2 you have to take a minimum withdrawal amount as determined by the IRS. Depending on your age and the ages(s) and of your beneficiary(ies), there is an assumed number of years that you (or your benficiary) will be withdrawing funds - so you divide the amount in your account by that number of years. For someone age 70 whose sole benfecary is a spouse whose age is within 10 years of the account owner, the distribution period is assumed to be 27.4 years, so that year you must take a minimum distributions of 1/27.4 = 3.65%. Here's the table: IRA minimum distributions table
    Expert

Jan 4, 2010, 02:20 PM

UPDATE - I think the "Worker, Retiree, and Employer Recovery Act of 2008" waived the requirement for mandatory distributions for 2009. So if you turned 70-1/2 in 2009, you may not be required to take a distribution by April 1, 2010. You should contact your IRA custodian and ask about this.
    Katrinajjnmsaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 08:50 PM
    If someone who has contributed to 401 plan and has been on the job for 30 years passes away, can next of kin withdraw?
    Expert

Mar 22, 2012, 05:46 AM
    It depends on whether the "next of kin" is the benficiary of the 401(k) plan or not. Almost all 401(k) plan particiapants identify a beneficiary (or beneficiaries) who would inherit the 401(k) upon death of the participant. In general the answer is yes - the beneficiary can take withdrawals, but the details of how that happens varies by plan, and be aware that income taxes will be owed on any withdrawal (but not a 10% early withdrawal penalty). There are different options available depending on whether the beneficiary is the person's spouse or not. So best thing is to get in touch with the plan administrator and ask what the rules are. Also I suggest you read the following web page - there is some really good information about how inheriting a 401(k) works:

401khelpcenter.com - What You Need to Know When You Inherit a 401k

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k withdrawal [ 3 Answers ]

I was laid off from my job. How will I be taxed on my 401k withdrawal in the amount of about $3100. I am 59 years 9 months old .

401K withdrawal [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I am now very worried about what additional payments/penalties I may owe at tax time for my 401K withdrawal. I lost my job last year and took out my 401K to support myself and my children. The taxable amount on the 1099-R I received says $25,520.29. It also says under federal income tax...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

401k WITHdrawal [ 18 Answers ]

Hi, I'd really appreciate some help. :) I lost my job a couple months ago, and took a withdrawal out of my 401k to help survive. Can anyone tell me exactly how bad the taxes will be on it? I will have some deductions to use, but honestly don't know how much that will help, or hurt me? Thanks...

View more questions Search