Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adnora Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2004, 08:20 PM
    Shower hot water timer
    Could anyone tell me if there is any kind of shower timer that would turn off the hot water after a certain time limit, e.g. 5 or 10 minutes. Is there anything like this that could be installed on a regular shower so that showers could be limited to a certain time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 13, 2004, 06:57 AM
    Shower hot water timer
    .While they don't have a product that's designed specifically for showers, Iv'e come up with several that may be adapted for that purpose. Home Depot has a mechanical timer. (clock) Meinor model#3010-4 for $15.12 or a timer that works on flow. Flowmeter Water Timer , Meinor model#101CBS for $10.96. These attach to the end of the shower arm and the shower head will attach to it. You will need adapters to convert from 3/4" hose thread down to 1/2" IPS,(Iron Pipe Size. These adopters are 3/4" external hose coupling to 1/2" internal pipe thread,(female) and one with a 1/2"external pipe thread,( male). If you can't locate them locally click on,
    http://www.midamericafittings.com/catgarden.jpg
    Hope this gets you where you're bound. Tom
    sodayak Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2006, 05:05 AM
    Check out TheShowerManager.com or showertimer.com.au, they are companies that make timers that attach to the shower head that allow only a certain amount of time for a shower. Also some plumbing supply companies (I think one is called King Supply) make coin-op shower timers like you would see at a campground. Hope this helps!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 30, 2006, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adnora
    Could anyone tell me if there is any kind of shower timer that would turn off the hot water after a certain time limit, e.g. 5 or 10 minutes. Is there anything like this that could be installed on a regular shower so that showers could be limited to a certain time.
    I guess I didn't look hard enough. Click on, Shower timer - Google Search
    To find a whole bunch of shower timers. Thank you sodayak for bumping this question back up to the top. Regards, tom
    mtn-living Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 12:04 PM
    I have a teenage boy and am looking for a shower timer that also limits the water flow. Perhaps something that even turns the water off after a certain amount of time. Has anyone had experience with any products of this sort. I want a tried and true product.

I found a product called the Shower Manager The Shower Manager - The Hi-Tech Shower Timer they call it the Automated Shower Timer, and I wanted to know if it works before I shelled out over hundred clams for it.

I appreciate any response as I have to correct this problem before it gets any worse.
    tvance Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Hello mtn-living...

I purchased a "Shower Manger" and was disappointed at it's lack of performance. That's not to say it won't work for you. The first time I installed it, it worked great. Every other time it failed (always in low-flow mode). The company gladly replaced the unit, which also failed in a similar manner, and they ultimately refunded the purchase.

Hope you have better luck.
    pearly Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2007, 08:43 PM
    Check on the Shower Coach ($2.95) Haven't tried it yet and the user has to cooperate as it is a simple hour glass for 5 minutes. Helps gauge how long the water is running full blast.
    DIY_Guy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2009, 10:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tvance View Post

I purchased a "Shower Manger" ...
    Every other time it failed (always in low-flow mode). ...
    Hope you have better luck.
    Hi tvance,

I had a similar issue where the thing would shut off early sometimes.
    I called and got the explanation that because I am on a really low pressure well system,
    I may experience problems when someone else in the house, lets say, flushes the toilet.
    It seems the quick loss of pressure tricks the unit into thinking you turned off the shower. It then goes into the five minute "reset period" before water flow can be restored.

Now that I understand this, I have requested that no one flush when someone else is in the shower. This not only stops resetting the shower manager but saves us from a little scalding too.

Other than that hiccup our new shower manager has worked well, much to the kids' scorn.

I can't wait until this daily ritual becomes a habit and we no longer have to use such measures to get our kids out of the shower in a reasonable amount of time.

Overall, I have to say "Thank You Shower Manager Guy", I have better things to do than worry about shower times!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
    DIY...

Thank you for sharing that helpful information... :) But don't expect a reply from Tvance as it has been over 2 years since he was he/she was at this post.

But still glad you posted the info.

MARK
    mike1942 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
    The product we found is Shower Manager which allows showers of up to 5/8/11 minutes. Then it cuts the flow to 1/3 of normal which allows for a rinse off. They also include a warning sound for 1 min. before low flow kicks in. The reset is 5 minutes. Before another full use cycle. Cost is around $111 and reviews are mixed. The unit is powered by a 9 volt battery and is screwed on between the flow pipe and the shower head. The Discovery Channel review shows annual savings of +-$350 per year just to cut two youngsters showers from 30 minutes. To 11 minutes. Only you can set the electronic timer to 5/8/11 minutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water in shower but plenty of hot water at sink! [ 14 Answers ]

undefinedundefined Two days ago, both of the showers in my home stop having hot water. I have very hot water in the sinks in the bathrooms. The shower doesn't get but lukewarm. One showe in the spin dial to adjust the temp and turn on the shower. The other is a spin dial for temp and has a facet...

No Hot Water to shower head, but Hot water to the Tub? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I just purchased a new house. We have found that the shower pressure in the bathroom is wonderful however once you have set the right temp from the tub spout and switch over to the shower no hot water makes it to the shower head. We can only turn off the cold water completely in...

Timer on hot water heater [ 2 Answers ]

There is a timer on my water heater. How can I disconnect it? Also, does the timer affect how long my water stays running hot?

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

Shower timer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I googled shower timer and ended up here. Do you know of any instance where someone has installed a water timer above the showerhead for disabled person with upper body strength issues? Already tried putting a lever on the shower faucet and can't change the whole shower fixture. Seems like...

View more questions Search