Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpray2007 Posts: 319, Reputation: 23

Dec 7, 2009, 09:40 AM
    Shins exercise
    Every time I play soccer, my shins hurt for a while after - not because I get battered by fellow players, but because of all the running. My game is mostly about speed so I'm wondering if the high stress on my legs/shins is was what is causing the pain. Is there a way to cure/prevent this type of problem every time? Is this a symptom of something else? Weak muscles, lack of warm-up/cool-down, etc? I'm open to any and all suggestions. I look forward to my game but hate the after-effects...

Thanks
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Shin splints - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dec 7, 2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks for the link. I did look into shin splints on wikipedia and haven't found it too useful. Interestingly enough the pain starts almost a day after the exercise and not during or immediately after. This might still be shinsplints but this kind wasn't fully described in the wikipedia article.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 11:37 AM
    Whenever I've gotten them it was usually very soon after the activity, sometimnes carrying on until the next day.

Here's more: Shin Splints - Shin Pain - Causes Treatment and Prevention of Shin Splints
    I hope you don't have a slight stress fracture.
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 11:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rpray2007 View Post
    Thanks for the link. I did look into shin splints on wikipedia and haven't found it too useful. Interestingly enough the pain starts almost a day after the exercise and not during or immediately after. This might still be shinsplints but this kind wasn't fully described in the wikipedia article.
    Hi Rpray,
    Have you also considered hyaluronic acid, MSM sulphur, as well as Glucosamine. These can also help remove inflammation and pain.

I ned to ask you an important question, how yo be contacted?

Jan 25, 2010, 06:08 PM

Didn't follow-up on this thread because I didn't get an email notification (I think) so sorry for not responding earlier.

However, I've not tried any of those products above - they sound kind of intense. Any good places where they talk about these in more detail?

Thanks
    Golden_Girl Posts: 1,930, Reputation: 60
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2010, 11:40 PM
    Didn't follow-up on this thread because I didn't get an email notification (I think) so sorry for not responding earlier.

However, I've not tried any of those products above - they sound kinda intense. Any good places where they talk about these in more detail?

thanks

However, I've not tried any of those products above - they sound kinda intense. Any good places where they talk about these in more detail?

thanks
    .. I completely forgot about this thread :o, these can be applied topically as well as in oral supplement form.. I prefer both for optimal benefits. OK here you go:

Hyaluronic acid: (also called Hyaluronan) is a component of connective tissue whose function is to cushion and lubricate. Hyaluronan occurs throughout the body in abundant amounts in many of the places people with hereditary connective tissue disorders have problems such as joints, heart valves and eyes. Hyaluronic acid abnormalities are a common thread in connective tissue disorders... This is also a popular product used in several different skin care products for it's natural moisturizing and humectant properties.
    http://www.ctds.info/hyaluronic_acid.html

MSM sulphur: (methylsulfonylmethane) I take this supplement daily in liquid form along with vitmain C. MSM is used as an additive for arthritis related joint discomfort due to joint pain, as well as for many other uses.
    Unlike Glucosamine, you already get some MSM from your diet. Strictly speaking, MSM is the biologically available (organic) form of sulfur. Sulfur is one of the major components of food and one of the most prevalent materials in the body. MSM is used for muscle pain. It has shown some clinical evidence that it can be helpful for arthritis related joint discomfort due to joint pain, but it is usually used in combination with other, more effective joint supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin. MSM, like omega 3 and niacinamide are synergistic ingredients for arthritis related joint discomfort due to joint pain, meaning it helps the glucosamine do its job more effectively.
    http://www.glucosamine-arthritis.org...amine/MSM.html
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...s/DSH/msm.html

Glucosamine: Other names: glucosamine sulfate, glucosamine sulphate, glucosamine hydrochloride, N-acetyl glucosamine, chitosamine.
    Glucosamine is a compound found naturally in the body, made from glucose and the amino acid glutamine. Glucosamine is needed to produce glycosaminoglycan, a molecule used in the formation and repair of cartilage and other body tissues. Production of glucosamine slows with age. Oral glucosamine is marketed as a treatment of osteoarthritis. Commonly sold forms of glucosamine are glucosamine sulfate and glucosamine hydrochloride. Glucosamine is often sold in combination with other supplements such as chondroitin sulfate and methylsulfonylmethane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucosamine
    http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery...ucosamine.html
    http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herb...lucosamine.htm

Also, these ork best if used along with a liquid vitamin C supplement, as this will help with greater absorption.

Vitamin C absorbtion: (Ascoric Acid type)
    - Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, fighting molecules which trigger rheumatoid inflammation.

- Vitamin C serves a role as a cofactor in collagen synthesis, the main protein in joint tissue and bone.

- Vitamin C plays a role in fighting infection and may work to control inflammation which is linked to infection.
    Some believe infection can trigger flares of rheumatoid arthritis.
    http://arthritis.about.com/od/preven...a/vitaminc.htm
    http://www.exrx.net/Nutrition/Antiox.../VitaminC.html

These can be purchased from a Whole foods natural health store as well as Amazon. I prefer liquid and liquid caps instead of the solid pill form in order for better and faster absorption. Hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I doing enough exercise? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I'm doing enough exercise? I play volleyball twice a week for an hour and walk home from school 3 times a week which takes about an hour as well. In Autumn and Winter I play hockey but it's Spring now so I'm not playing until next year. I feel lazy now that I'm not playing...

Is it OK to exercise? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know about working out while you are trying to get pregnant? I have been working out but I wasn't sure if it does anything to your body while you are trying to conceive? Also, should I still be doing sit-ups?

When to eat and exercise [ 5 Answers ]

I like to exercise in the morning when I wake up. If I don't eat breakfast I get really hungry while exercising, but when I do eat breakfast (usually toast or a breakfast bar) half the time I feel nauseous or have a stomach ache or have to use the restroom badly in the middle of exercising. What...

Exercise help [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have two problem spots on my body my stomach and my legs. I would like to get my legs toned and have a somewhat flat stomach. Is there any specific exercises that could move the process along faster. Thanks Brit

View more questions Search