Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laburke06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
    1o year old w adhd
    I have been having a lot of problems with my 10 year old sons behaviors. He was diagnosed w/ADHD about 2 years ago but I am starting to thing that there is another issue going on with him. He always seems angry and nothing is EVER his fault. HE has me and his father constantly walking on egg shells. We have tried so many different approahes w him but nothing seems to be helping. Sometimes I feel like I am at my wits end w him. He is always picking on his siblings,and is always trying to get under my skin. He doesn't seem to understand that he needs to respect others and always just blurts out mean things and doesn't care whom he is hurting. But the weird thing is his teachers are always saying what a sweet kid we have. Its not making any sense to me. If someone has any sugesstions please let me know,I am exausted!
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2009, 09:31 AM

Well, here's an idea. It could be several things.

First, maybe he feels like he can't communicate at home, or something is upsetting him around the house. If thaht's the case, then you need to figure out why and try to help.

Second, It might not be ADHD. My brother was diagnosed with that a LONG time ago (along with bipoplar) and it turns out neither of those was the real issue. He actually has Aspergers syndrome (my brother) We ended up getting second and third opinions when we moved to another state and found out that he had been mis diagnosed and so he was not being treated properly. I suggest trying a different doctor and seeing what he has to say about it. Also, if you don't bring him to counseling or therapy, you shouls consider it. Whatever may be frusterating him might come out there. Just stay calm, he needs love. I'm sure you're a great parent, so hang in there!
    Laurenmichele8 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Nov 9, 2009, 04:53 PM

I no how you feel. My youngest brother was diagnosed with ADHD when he was 8. It is extremely hard living with him as he is extremely disrespectful towards my mother and I hate to see this. He has recently became violent and hit my mother and broke my arm in 3 places 14th October.. My youngest brother is like your son, Always thinks he is right, you cannot get a word in at all.. it's his way or no way! He was diagnosed with ODD as well as ADHD because of this.. You should look up on it.
    My brother always got the sweet kid treatment from teachers until he reached secondary school. (He refused a special school so we're trying an ordinary high school)
    I feel he has been let down a lot where disipline is concerned as my mother does not have the willpower to do it and my dad does not live with us.
    I feel that you shouldn't be walking on eggshells. He needs his discipline ADHD or not. If he senses that you are 'taking it easy' on him then it will make him think there is something wrong with him, that you are treating him differently etc or he will take it for granted and become more disrespectful.
    He is always very very angry.. always.. his phyciatrist has suggested anger management? Maybe your son would benefit from this too

Is he taking any medication for his ADHD or has it not got to that stage yet?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

13 year old ADHD acting very differently.lazy and disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Hello I have 13 year old son with ADHD. He has been treated since grade 3. He is a well behaved child who usually needs reminders to keep his focus. He has always been self centered, but not in an intentionnaly cruel way. Lately, since turning 13 he has changed completely. He is very...

Adhd [ 2 Answers ]

What is ADHD? How does it affect children and adults? What kind of help is out there?

10 year old son with ADHD and anger [ 2 Answers ]

I need help! My son is 10 and is obsessed with what I do and who I talk to. He has no real friends because he doesn't know how to treat them. I have three sons and he is the middle child. The other two have friends who like them and they play with kids their age all the time. The middle child has...

Behavioral issues in a 42 year old male, adhd, bipolar [ 2 Answers ]

There appears to be something wrong with my 42 year old son. He has lived away from home since he was 18. He is now living close to me... and I think he has some problems. I knew he has always had trouble making ends meet financially. He is now married and has one child with this woman. He was...

My son has ADHD? [ 28 Answers ]

Tomorrow I am going to talk to my 8 yr old son's psychologist about his results from his evaluation which includes ADHD. The psychologist works with my husband and told him that my son does have ADHD. Even though I live with my son and see how he struggles, I am not too sure if I believe he...

View more questions Search