Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mombga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 07:09 AM
    Can bride invite guests that paying parents don't want
    If my parents are paying for my wedding and I want to invite my mom's parents, who she has not spoken to in more than 20 years, and I did not grow up knowing them, to my wedding? My parents feel strongly that they are not to be invited.
    desertstar36 Posts: 46, Reputation: 10

Sep 22, 2009, 07:15 AM

That's a hard situation. It is YOUR wedding. You should be able to invite who you want, although I can understand why they may not want you to invite them. Just tell them how you feel. If it is a money thing maybe pay there way. Your wedding day is your special day so you should do what makes you happy. Just remember if there will be tension if they come, that may stress you out more.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 12:48 AM
    I have to ask, if you have not grown up knowing them and you know that your mother does not want them there - why would you invite them?

I agree that inviting them will create an additional source of tension at your wedding.

It is your wedding, but I do think you would be wise to respect sensitivities. Perhaps you can visit them on your honeymoon and show them the photos or the DVD.
    desertstar36 Posts: 46, Reputation: 10

Sep 23, 2009, 06:40 AM

I know its not the same situation but I may understand why she wants them there. I did not grow up with my dad or his family but I really wanted him there for some reason. Looking back now 13 years later I wish I didn't. At the time It meant a lot to me, although no one had a problem with it so it wasn't stressful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to word the wedding invite when grooms parents aren't contributing [ 5 Answers ]

We have a sticky situation. We need suggested wedding invititation wording for when the brides father is deceased, and the grooms parents are not contributing to the wedding, but the bride and groom, and the mother of the bride are. The Grooms parents will be insulted if they are not listed on...

Non-paying guests/tentants: what to do? [ 17 Answers ]

I recently moved to Florida and bought a 1920 craftsman bungalow 4bedroom, 3bathroom fixer upper and a 3 car garage with a studio apartment above it. Being a single disable male, on a fixed income, I figured I'd fix the place up over the years, to my liking. A year passes and an old friend...

Married parents paying college tuition for children over age 18 [ 1 Answers ]

non married or divorced fathers are required to pay child support and college expenses for children after the age of 18 as long as they are attending college. oes anyone know if there is such a law that requires married parents to support their children once over the age of 18 if they choose to...

Dinner Party Etiquette - guests inviting more guests! [ 24 Answers ]

Hi, I'm having a small dinner party with family members. A month ago I sent out an email invitation to the all the family living near by, total of 12 guests. Now, 3 days before the party one of the family members has invited 6 more people to my party, 4 are family from out of town, 2 are dates. ...

Older Bride & Groom, paying [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, A 35- year old man and his 33-year old fiancée are planning an elaborate wedding. Her family is paying for the reception, but the groom's father does not have any money and cannot afford the elaborate rehearsal dinner for 80 people. The man has asked his siblings for the money after...

View more questions Search