Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dlorwig7582 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2009, 02:34 PM
    Boss won't let me transfer
    I've had two occasions now where my Boss has blocked my transfer to another department. Applying for intracompany jobs is supposed to be confidential, but as a SVP she finds out. I know she loves my work, but does things to prevent me from moving up within the company. I'm bored at my current job and would like to do something else. What should I do?
    Cedarln2265 Posts: 193, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 02:51 PM

You must be doing a great job and she could be wore out with supervising less than able people (kindest thought) or her motivation could be that you are making her look good to her supervisor (not so kind thought) or a lot between.
    Could you talk to her and see if you could assume additional duties that would be more challenging for you so you can stretch your abilities a bit? Short of that getting some educational courses could lead you to other work that you would be happier with or anything between. Good luck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 03:08 PM

Could you be a bit more specific, how did she block your transfere?
    dlorwig7582 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2009, 03:45 PM
    Been here 4 years with good rep. Boss's best friend had a job opening. I didn't even get a courtesy interview with CEO. Ran into CEO in elevator and told him I applied. He said he'd look into it... he likes me. Never heard a word.

Second time... job opening in my department. She knew I wanted the job... she made it part time so I couldn't apply (I need my insurance benefits).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 05:29 PM

If you are stuck in your own company often you have to consider going to another company for promotions.

Unless you are not being hired because of a protected class, race, religion or other reasons, they can not promote if they don't want to.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 3, 2009, 06:29 PM

You need to talk to HR about this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How get along well with your immediate boss [ 4 Answers ]

I majored in International Economy and Trade. I graduated 2007. After two job-hopping, I entered the company I am in now. I am an exporting stuff, whose job is exporting stuff. I don't have too much experience about exporting business, so I sometimes made mistakes. I need to learn much. I know,...

Why is my boss doing this? [ 8 Answers ]

I work for this family as their nanny... we have this "best family-best nanny ever" relationship. Isn't been longer, but I'm getting this strong feeling that the father likes me. I don't want to be in such position.. I love my job and want to keep it or leave it with grace and respect. But how to...

What to do? Boss loves you boss hates yeah girl? [ 7 Answers ]

Hey guys So I'm going out with a chick I work with I know I know not the best :) But hey. Anyway I really like this one she seems to give me what I need. Now if the boss likes you but not her. What do you do? Not much right If she gets kicked do I go with her or stay at my job? This...

Boss firing employees after boss resigns [ 1 Answers ]

Is it legal in California for a CEO to fire employees AFTER the CEO has resigned? My understanding is that the CEO can no longer hire, fire or negotiate contracts after they have tendered their resignation.

Who's the Boss? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm the Boss The boss was complaining in our staff meeting the other day that he wasn't getting any respect. The next day, he brought a small sign that read: "I'm the Boss!" He then taped it to his office door. Later that day when he returned from lunch, he found that someone had...

View more questions Search