Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Aug 23, 2009, 05:36 PM
    replacement value/or the mortgage
    my neigbhoor has a $65,000 mortgage, but she is insured for $116,675
    with other misc fees premium comes to $2,351.00 for here small two bedroom
    house.
    The insurance company said they insurance the house by the replacement value.
    by law.

Does the mortgage company care that much about the replacement value
    or are they just interested in the amount they have invested.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 05:57 PM

Normally the mortgage company is going to be concerned with covering the loan. So if the replacement value is $116K, as long as the bank gets their $60K back, the rest is up to the homeowner.

Your neighbor should be concerned with the replacement value because once the bank gets their $60K, then your friend is at square one. Not a good place to be if the home is destroyed.

Also, many companies offer additional coverages when the property is covered at full replacement value. Many offer what is called "rebuild" value. So if the home is destroyed but the cost to rebuild the home exceeds the $116K (which we are considering "full" replacement value in this particular case) then the insurance company may allow an additional percentage of that value as a cushion. Consider it as a 'perk' of sorts.

I never recommend that someone not insure their home at full replacement value. You may pay a premium for 40 years and never have a claim. But the flipside is that you may choose to underinsure hoping to save money but in the event of a claim, you're up a creek.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 23, 2009, 08:44 PM

Are you sure about those numbers? A premium of $2,351 seems extremely high for $116K policy.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2009, 09:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Are you sure about those numbers? A premium of $2,351 seems extremely high for $116K policy.
    I wondered about that as well but there are a lot of unknowns since he says he's asking for his neighbor. Here are some things that will affect the premium.

• location (proximity to coastline)
    • prior claim history (personal)
    • claim history for region/area of town
    • construction of building
    • credit history
    • deductible
    • additional endorsements on the policy
    • age of home

OP, I would suggest that your neighbor sit down with his/her insurance agent and review the policy to know exactly what they're paying for and get a breakdown of the premium. It may be time to shop around for a new carrier...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage broker vs. Mortgage Lender [ 3 Answers ]

What are the pro's and con's of using either a mortgage broker or going directly to the mortgage lender?

Refinanced through mortgage lender who never paid off original mortgage company [ 1 Answers ]

I signed closing papers on June 11 with funding to occur on June 16 for the refinance of my home more than 45 days ago. To date (July 31), my original mortgagor has not received the pay-off from the company with whom I refinanced. Since the papers were signed, two payments have become due (and...

CT mortgage holder vs mortgage owner [ 1 Answers ]

We live in Connecticut. My male friend and I find ourselves in the process of foreclosure on a home we used to live in. I moved out 1.5 years ago and he moved out a month ago. There were "family circumstances" that couldn't be worked out when I left. We can't afford an attorney so we are...

Mortgage payment.Mortgage told me one thing amount and then it was another. [ 1 Answers ]

Okay. I had a mortgage loan modification. Had an agreement with my loan company to make a paymnet of about five thousand dollars.Then I received a letter that instead of the five thousand that covered the months of October and November it was two thousand dollars and one of about two hundred and...

36 hours before I close mortgage company refuses to give mortgage? [ 5 Answers ]

I secured a deal for a home with the owner and got a signed contract a month ago. For sale by owner deal. Secured financing at 95%, with 5 % down. Did financing through a broker, and got a locked in deal with countrywide over 3 weeks ago. All is well, appraised for 100K over what I have...

View more questions Search