Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tolongapong Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Aug 9, 2009, 12:09 PM
    Another Planet Just Like Ours?
    All right well a few of my buddies were talking the other night, and one of them was saying that some how scientist have evidence that somewhere out in the universe there is another planet just like ours. That there's thinking beings who look, think and live just like us, just that there thousands or maybe millions of light years away... whats your guyses thoughts on this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 12:24 PM

Hello tolo:

There's no evidence at all... But, if you look at the odds, you'd come up with that same conclusion...

It's kind of like what you think the odds are that a coin flipped in the air would come up heads 1,000's and 1,000's of times in a row.

You'd say that it COULD happen, but probably WOULDN'T happen and you'd be right...

So, if you consider that we have BILLIONS of stars in our own galaxy, and that there are BILLIONS of galaxies out there, with BILLIONS of stars each, you'd probably come to the conclusion that there probably ARE other planets just like earth, and a LOT of them.

I think you'd be right. Yes, they're a long ways away from us, if they're there at all.

excon
    jinxprotocol Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Sep 2, 2009, 10:37 AM

We don't have any real evidence of any earth-like planets out there... yet. Excon is completely right in talking about the likelihood of there being life out there. With the number of stars and galaxies, it is hard to think just how we could be alone.

It would be exciting, indeed, if there were other people out there like us, but it would take a planet forming in an EXTREMELY similar way to ours for this to happen. Humans, as it were, are a relatively new species to the planet, and we're only here because of some pretty amazing environmental changes that took billions upon billions of years.

An interesting side note to this is that, though Venus's surface area could not support sustainable life, we now have evidence that the atmosphere could. We just can't get close enough to see if it's there or not. Cloud-creatures, perhaps.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Sep 3, 2009, 01:10 AM
    Earth like planets are the best bet for alien life. Based on this the best knowledge available at the moment comes through, "The Drake Equation".
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 01:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Earth like planets are the best bet for alien life.
    I wouldn't go this far, I would say that Earth-like planets are the best bet for Earth-like life. You're extrapolating from a single data point.

Sep 3, 2009, 03:25 AM
    Yes, you are correct but that is the basis of the 'Drake Equation'. It is assumes that intelligent life is similar to what is found on our home planet. In other words, our earth has provided the opportunity for Homo Sapiens to reach a stage where we can think about other worlds. The assumption is that planets which are similar to earth will eventually produce intelligent life.

Life may well be found within our solar System, e.g.. Mars. If this turns out to be the case then it won't be intelligent. Yes, your are correct when you say that I am extrapolating from a single data point, but that is out best bet at the moment.
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 03:45 AM
    Yes, you are correct but that is the basis of the 'Drake Equation'. It is assumes that intelligent life is similar to what is found on our home planet. In other words, our earth has provided the opportunity for Homo Sapiens to reach a stage where we can think about other worlds. The assumption is that planets which are similar to earth will eventually produce intelligent life.

Life may well be found within our solar System, eg. Mars. If this turns out to be the case then it won't be intelligent. Yes, your are correct when you say that I am extrapolating from a single data point, but that is out best bet at the moment.
    I guess my point to the OP is to point out that the drake equation is full of fudge factors that many people disagree on, because the only civilization we have to derive the data from is our own.

More can be read about it here, it IS very interesting, but realise there are some very valid criticisms:

Drake equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sep 3, 2009, 05:03 PM
    You are right as usual Capuchin. The question will remain one of the great mysteries of the universe.
    Speaking of mysteries that defy explanation. How on earth did you manage to win back The Ashes??
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2009, 05:31 PM
    Carl Sagan once said that Earth is like a grain of sand on an infinite beach. Space goes on forever. FOREVER. We would be very close-minded to think that we're the ONLY ones in existence. There might be different planets in varied stages of development. More, and less, advanced than us. But doubtfully identical. Just like somewhere on our planet , there is someone who looks just like you. But they're not EXACTLY like you, with the same name, interests, etc.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2009, 01:50 AM
    You are right as usual Capuchin. The question will remain one of the great mysteries of the universe.
    Speaking of mysteries that defy explanation. How on earth did you manage to win back The Ashes???
    Not even I know the answer to that one.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 11:47 PM
    So far we have discovered over 300 planets in other solar systems around stars relatively close by Earth.
    None of them are Just like Earth.
    All discover are larger and in most cases larger than is Jupter.
    But soon other telescopes will be in orbit which are disigned to detect the smaller planets like Earth is.
    Considering the fact that so far it has been somewhat of a surprise to many folks that so many planets have been found close by (that is several million light years away).
    That being the case it means that in this galaxy alone with several billion stars there are billions of planets also.
    Considering the fact that there are around a trillion other galaxies the odds are that there are a great many planets very similar to this planet of Earth.
    However, that does not indicate that life evolved in the save way it did here.
    True, it could have but also it life could have come into being differently and perhaps not carbon based as it s here.
    The near future MAY tell us more for much work is afoot to discover more planets.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a Planet? [ 10 Answers ]

What is a Planet? Debate Forces New Definition. I would very much like to resurrect the debate here. I was very disappointed with the demotion of PLUTO.

New Exo Planet [ 11 Answers ]

I read in the newspaper, that we have a new planet. Could you tell me more about this? That is if you heard this.

Planet X? [ 3 Answers ]

I've come across a site, www.zetatalk.com, which talks about the passage of a planet known as the 12th planet, and is referred to as "Planet X" in other places. What's the deal about it?

Mass of planet [ 1 Answers ]

Captain Kirk and spock are sitting on an uncharted planet whose diameter is 2400 km. but whose mass is not. If the normally 95 kg Kirk is found to weight 105 N on this planet, what is the mass of the planet?

Is it a planet? [ 2 Answers ]

Right now(4:00AM) in Wyoming, in the north eastern part of the sky, just above the horizon there is a HUGE bright star that seems to pulsate(twinkle) When I first saw it I thought it was a UFO! It is very prominent in the sky. Does anyone know if this is a planet or just a very large star? Okay...

View more questions Search