Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    travis79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Am I able to get Registered in nursing?
    I'm a 30 year old male, who is interested in becoming a nurse. My problem is that I have a little bit of a background. I'v been arrested a few times for various reasons. The arrest I'm concerned about is my DUI. It was all drug related. I'm in recovery and I'm wondering how extensive of a background check does the BON's do? Is it even worth going back to school for. It's something I'm very passionate about. Any advice would be helpful... Thanks,
    Travis
    Cinqui73 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 06:27 AM

It isn't even the BON you have to worry about - the BON doesn't become involved until after you graduate and actually hold an RN license.

The SCHOOL most likely will do a national background check and decide on your admittance to their program; I would check with your school of choice and direct this question to them for the specifics.

If these were felony offenses, I sincerely doubt you would be permitted into any RN program. I'm very sorry. :(
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 27, 2009, 06:40 AM
    The above answer is correct. It would be better if you find another line of work. The school and BON will find out about your arrests. Since they are alcohol and drug related you will not be able to work in a field where drugs are easily accessible.
    Cinqui73 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 11:11 AM
    If you're passionate about helping people, you can pursue other avenues; social worker, psych or drug addiction counselor, for example.

Best of luck with pursuing your dreams and, more importantly, your health!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing care plan with priority nursing dx [ 1 Answers ]

I need a priority nursing diagnosis from the nanda list for this patient. Patient c 92 yr old fell medical dx of C4 fracture and patient has a possible broken arm that patient can not move. Weight 75lbs.has neck immobilizer on, foley cat in, IV in with ns @ 75 cc/hr. on bed rest total care patient....

Not registered for gst # [ 4 Answers ]

I am a sole proprietor of a real estate investment company. I am not collecting GST for the government. When I am entering invoices that have GST on them what account do I use for the GST portion?:confused:

Registered sex offender [ 1 Answers ]

As a landlord in the state of Pennsylvania, do I have any obligations if I have a registered sex offender living in my building? I just found this out today. He is not a tenant.. . But his mother is and I've allowed him to temporarily move into her apartment with her. He is 43 years old. I...

Registered Voters [ 1 Answers ]

How many registered voters are in the US?

View more questions Search