Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bad2bon39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2009, 03:52 PM
    Fired, with holding pay, not reporting taxes
    Background of situation:
    Working at a locally owned restaurant, they noticed they were not making profit and decided to investigate. They discovered that servers were pocketing money and deleting tables. They have worked out 'deals" with servers to pay back.

I was not involved in the stealing, I have never stole a dime from this place, I was there to make money just like they are. I only worked weekends. I took off two weekends for vacation, upon return I was told by the head server that the manager told her to fire me. I called the manager and she denied this but said I had to talk to the owners of the restaurant about a customer complaint they received. I talked to them, I am fired because the cust said they got bad service. I have never had a write up or warning at this place, shouldn't that have happened before being fired?

Well now I am struggling with this place to get my last 3 paychecks... they will not give them to me after several requests by me.

I am also concerned about how they paid us the previous months and I questioned them about this at the time it happened, they were paying us in cash only, no checkstub, no record of taxes. How can I find out of they have reported any taxes on wages or tips?
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jun 30, 2009, 07:39 AM

I don't know which state you are in , but you need to contact your local Department of Labor. If you need the contact information let me know in which state you work and I can find it for you.

You will need to file a claim for unpaid wages and they will also be able to tell you if payroll taxes were paid.

Shirley
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 12:32 PM

Sounds like an under the table job where they were not reporting pays.
    Wildsporty Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jul 7, 2009, 06:13 AM

I agree they were trying to pay under the table, but the Department of Labor if reported to them will make them go back and pay all the taxes due.

Shirley
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2009, 08:10 PM

I believe that you can likely file a claim for unpaid wages with the Department of Labor. Chances are that the termination was legal - most states are at-will these days and they can fire you for any reason, or no reason at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reporting inheritance for taxes [ 5 Answers ]

I am trying to clear up what to report on my individual tax form from a recent inheritance from a parent. I directly inherited 1 a teacher's pension fund lump sum settlement (I think it's considered like life insurance payout), 2 a life insurance pay out, 3 and an annuity cash out....

With holding taxes for L1A [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new in US and will be here for the whole year. I am single and getting US income. I will go back to India at the year end. Questions: What all taxes I have to pay? What credits am I eligible for? How can I reduce my with holding? Will I be a non resident alien or a resident...

View more questions Search