Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    franneh Posts: 134, Reputation: 7

Dec 17, 2008, 03:26 PM
    How long can you keep driving after the needle hits the 'E'?
    Don't know if the kind of car makes a difference but I have a 1999 plymouth neon. I was curious how much gas I really have left if hypothetically the needle is on E, and I have no money on me and I have a 17 mile drive home from here? Hypothetically of course. Im not dumb enough to forget my wallet and also not realize I am out of gas until I get to work lol. Okay that's what happened lol! *is an idiot* do you think I can make it home?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 17, 2008, 03:32 PM

I always go by the rule of thumb and I have proven it at times, that you always have at least 25 km worth of gas in your car after it shows empty. I can see three clients in town before I have to get gas !

Oh, and I drive a Subaru Legacy four wheel drive, wonderful car, but rough on gas.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 03:45 PM

How many gallon tank do you have? Next time you get to the E go fill up. Subtract the number of gallons you put in from that. I usually have just over a gallon in my cavalier when I hit the E.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2008, 04:03 PM

Just a word of advice. Running your fuel that low causes your pump to run warmer, as there is no gasoline in the tank to cool it off; it also increases the chance of you sucking up dirt & debris off the tank floor. Try to keep it above 1/4 tank, if possible :)

Dec 17, 2008, 05:50 PM

Ooh thanks for all the info! This is the first time I have ever let it get that low. The OCD part of me usually makes me keep it at no less than 1/8 tank. I can normally make it an entire work week on one fill up, 34 miles five days a week. (My car is only used for my work, we take our jeep everywhere else.) When I fill up at 1/8 tank it normally takes about 8 gallons so I assume if tanks are sized in even amounts, mine probably holds ten gallons?

Dec 17, 2008, 05:55 PM

Ooh thanks for all the info! This is the first time I have ever let it get that low. The OCD part of me usually makes me keep it at no less than 1/8 tank. I can normally make it an entire work week on one fill up, 34 miles five days a week. (My car is only used for my work, we take our jeep everywhere else.) When I fill up at 1/8 tank it normally takes about 8 gallons so I assume if tanks are sized in even amounts, mine probably holds ten gallons?

Dec 17, 2008, 05:57 PM

Oh dear I seem to have double posted! Sorry I am doing this from my cellphone! :x
    lilwhitejeep Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2008, 10:07 PM

17 miles should be OK, Both of my vehicles are 2 gallons available when the light comes on or the needle hits the E mark. So what ever mileage your vehicle gets per gallon, double it and you should be able to get that far, roughly.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2008, 11:36 AM

Running your vehicle with less than 1/2 a tank is hard on your vehicle. My mechanic told me years ago not to have less than 1/2 a tank as too much condensation forms in the tank otherwise, especially in the winter months.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 11:41 AM

Each vechile is different, most takes use a float of some sort, and the gauge is a @ of what is in the tank, and can vary. In my car, it holds 10 gallons of gas, the low fuel light comes on at 1/2 gallon left, I will get about 15 to 20 miles on the 1/2 gallon of gas.

In my truck, once the low fuel light comes on I could not make it 10 miles.

One idea, borrow some money for a gallon of gas.

Dec 18, 2008, 12:04 PM

Well lol I made it home but I was scared to death xD I thought about borrowing money but then I was like, hmmm, I DO pay AAA all this money each year, and part of what I pay for is for them to bring me gas if I run out... so I took the chance and made it all the way back home, at which point I got my card and went to the gas station. Rofl. I'm such a dork!
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 12:05 PM

Glad you made it.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 03:44 PM

Now learn not to panic. You are woman you are invincible, you have gas anytime you want it... right!!
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 03:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Now learn not to panic. You ARE WOMAN YOU ARE INVINCIBLE, YOU HAVE GAS ANYTIME YOU WANT IT.........RIGHT !!!!
    I fail to see how this was beneficial to the thread whatsoever.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 04:17 PM

The thread is dealt with because the OP got home safely and without incident and solved her problem by letting us know. There was nothing more to say except in humour. Maybe you need a sense of some.
    Expert

Dec 18, 2008, 04:21 PM

And learn to keep 5 bucks hidden in the trunk or glove box for an emergany.
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    The thread is dealt with because the OP got home safely and without incident and solved her problem by letting us know. There was nothing more to say except in humour. Maybe you need a sense of some.
    Oh, that is precious...
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2009, 11:59 AM

In Aircraft especially, and any fuel tank that is vented, it is good to keep topped off overnight, as the moisture will condensate, an empty tank will produce more water. Cooling and debris has been mentioned.
    If you were real curious, carry a 5 Gallon of fuel, and run empty. Problem is, it is possible to not prime. When getting low, it wouldn't hurt to run gas out near your home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Daughter who hits me [ 16 Answers ]

I have a daughter who is soon to be 14 years old. She is very shy and has a hard time making friends in school. She throws tantrums when she wants something that I tell her she can not have and then she gets abusive with me and hits me and kicks me. I would love to give all 4 of my kids everything...

He hits me. [ 15 Answers ]

My boyfriend hits me a lot in front of my 2 yr old . He has no shame whatsoever . He is the jealous type and really sensitive . I tried leaving him but I can't he is a stocker and more violent then what he is. I can't call the police because he always runs from them and gets away with it. I'm at...

What is the best way to pack for college when driving a long distance? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm beginning to go through my things and am almost done buying what I need for college in the fall. Now comes time to pack :( I've already bought 3 smaller under-the-bed storage bins, so I will be packing some things in there. Since I can't come home before winter break and I'll be in...

I want her and he hits her [ 2 Answers ]

I've become attached to a girl who has a boyfriend. We've been seeing each other going on about 3 months now. Don't call her bad for cheating until you hear her story. Her boyfriend hits her and controls her life. He takes her car that she pays for and goes where ever he likes, but she can not...

View more questions Search