Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    libbysue Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2008, 11:34 PM
    Manner Vs. Matter
    My boyfriend and I are having an argument whether the phrase goes, "In a matter of speaking" or "In a manner of speaking". Can someone help us solve this war??
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Dec 2, 2008, 12:14 AM

I've always heard and said, "in a manner of speaking." Manner in this case means way, a way of speaking. Matter doesn''t work in this case although it could be used if there was an understanding that manner was what was meant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the matter with me? [ 17 Answers ]

I have just received an email from my algebra tutor, the subject being "Algebra wuiz results". When I found out that I got a F, I could believe it. This is my first F in years and years. Actually, my worst grade ever was a B. That is, before this. I studied for this test for eight hours. My...

Does it matter? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can wear yellow and white gold at the same time, because I got married recently and my husband brought me a gold ring. I don't know what to do because my husband said I should wear my ring even if I am wearing a yellow necklace.

Landlord will not Clean mold or replace mold covered cabinate in a timely Manner [ 4 Answers ]

We have Mold in our rented house! We had a pipe break under our kitchen sink and the landlord came and fixed that about a month ago, and said he would be back to fix the cabinate under the sink. Well it is now COVERED in mold and its even growing in the drawers. We called and he came and "cleaned"...

A51 or A50? Does it matter? [ 1 Answers ]

The ECU on my car is:37820-P06-A50. The part bought: 37820-P06-A51. Does it matter if I use the one with A51 to replace the original one with A50? I don't want to make another stupid mistake by trying a obviously mismatched part before I get some confirmation from those who know better out there....

View more questions Search