Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beejde0410 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Does the government or anyone else offer education assistance for people with felonies
    My husband has a felony from 2003 and spent 10 months in a county jail. We are being told by some people that there is financial assistance for people who have a felony record to go to college. Does anyone know if this is true or not? And if so, where can we get more information on this?

Thanks so much!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by beejde0410 View Post
    My husband has a felony from 2003 and spent 10 months in a county jail. We are being told by some people that their is financial assistance for people who have a felony record to go to college. Does anyone know if this is true or not? And if so, where can we get more information on this??

Thanks so much!

As far as I know he applies for scholarships and grants just like anyone else. I am not aware of any special programs for convicted felons.
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 08:52 AM
    My husband has a felony from 2003 and spent 10 months in a county jail. We are being told by some people that their is financial assistance for people who have a felony record to go to college. Does anyone know if this is true or not? And if so, where can we get more information on this??

Thanks so much!

As far as I know he applies for scholarships and grants just like anyone else. I am not aware of any special programs for convicted felons.

This has been posted before and one of the problems is careers which require licensing and the possibility that a felony conviction will preclude such licensing.
    beejde0410 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 09:01 AM

Thanks. So far the only thing we have been able to find for him is student loans to help because he makes "to much" money. Unfortunately, I have a medical condition that even with insurance takes about all of that extra money each month. This was just another avenue we thought we should explore...
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Thanks. So far the only thing we have been able to find for him is student loans to help because he makes "to much" money. Unfortunatly, i have a medical condition that even with insurance takes about all of that extra money each month. This was just another avenue we thought we should explore.....

And you can always try the various support groups, groups trying to get felons re-established, but because this is a relatively old conviction and apparently he's doing all right, I don't know how much help they'll be.

Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Right now the economy is SO bad I have to wonder how people are surviving.

And, of course, scholarship and grant money is tightening up. Has he thought in terms of an employer who will pay all or part of his tuitition? Sometimes you can be lucky enough to stumble across an employer who will pay a percentage based on your grades.

And, yes, I don't know who decides the "too much" money ceilings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Government grants [ 2 Answers ]

Are there any types of grants or government aid for convicted felons?

American government [ 1 Answers ]

Describe the Judicial Branch and its roll within the systems of checks and balances?

You.S. History And government [ 6 Answers ]

Most Inuit people live in Canada and Alaska. About one percent of Inuit live on the Asian coastline of Russia in Siberia. How do you explain this data?

Government [ 1 Answers ]

What are types of laws that Virginia has that California does not have to follow?

View more questions Search