Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vrho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
    Can I be fired for making an offensive comment while on the phone at home
    I was on the phone with a coworker and made an offensive comment about a fellow employee. I was not aware that I was on speakerphone so I was heard by that person. I was going to be fired but now I am going to be placed on a final written warning. I need to know if my action warrants this punishment, especially since my conversation was meant not only to be private, but was broadcasted without my knowledge or consent.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 08:25 AM

This is one of those situations where I wouldn't sit around looking for an "out". I'd try to make it right.

Have you apologized to the person who you made the offensive comment about? Have you apologized to anyone for your actions?

I might be reading too much into this, but if you're being put on FINAL written warning what else have you done to get you to the point where this is your final chance?

Taking responsibility for your actions will gain you more respect in your employers eyes than spending your time trying to figure out how you were wronged by the man.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 08:26 AM
    You state you are on final written notice not fired, so I guess you have to make sure your speakerphone is off next time. Or, next time you will be fired, I imagine.

You had better keep your nose clean and don't make uncalled for comments about coworkers.
    vrho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2008, 08:27 AM
    Can I be fired for making an offensive comment while on the phone at home
    I was on the phone with a coworker and made an offensive comment about a fellow employee. I was not aware that I was on speakerphone so I was heard by that person. I was going to be fired but now I am going to be place on a final written warning. I need to know if my action warrants this punishment, especially since my conversation was meant not only to be private, but was broadcasted without my knowledge or consent.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2008, 10:29 AM

Unless you have an employment contract you can be fired at any time for any or no reason if you are employed in the US.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2008, 10:35 AM

As pointed out, unless you are covered by an employment contract, you can be fired for almost any reason.

That being said, I would think it rather harsh to fire you for a private comment you made, even if it was broadcast.

One should remember the old adage; If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 24, 2008, 12:35 PM

They do not need to notify you or ask you to be put on speaker phone. Most people can tell if they are on it from the background noise. But yes, if you said something bad about a co-worker to someone at work, even if on the phone, they can fire you if they want.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2008, 05:56 PM

Tickle - he was on the other person's speakerphone. I hate it when it is not announced "you're on speakerphone" when I call someone or they call me. That's sneaky. You assumed that your conversation was private. I'm thinking that the company is "fishing" for a reason to dump you. Even after you apologize for your comment, just remember in the future to never talk bad about another fellow employee as you never know just who is listening. It's not easy to keep stuff like this to yourself and comments (words) do hurt another person's feelings. Depends on what you said and how the other person took it as well. These days you can't just go calling coworkers bad names.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vrho View Post
    I was on the phone with a coworker and made an offensive comment about a fellow employee. I was not aware that I was on speakerphone so I was heard by that person. I was going to be fired but now I am going to be place on a final written warning. I need to know if my action warrants this punishment, especially since my conversation was meant not only to be private, but was broadcasted without my knowledge or consent.

Please don't keep posting the same question - asked and answered on both sites. Should be combined.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vrho View Post
    I was on the phone with a coworker and made an offensive comment about a fellow employee. I was not aware that I was on speakerphone so I was heard by that person. I was going to be fired but now I am going to be placed on a final written warning. I need to know if my action warrants this punishment, especially since my conversation was meant not only to be private, but was broadcasted without my knowledge or consent.
    I agree with everything my colleagues have said. I cannot speak for anything but the legal profession but this lack of good judgment would get you terminated in every firm I ever worked in or managed.

There is too much very personal info floating around to take a chance on an employee who may not be discreet.

And it's employment at will - you can be let go for anything if you don't have an employment contract.

I don't know if the person who was on the receiving end of your comment is requesting that you be wrriten up or if it's management's choice. You can always apologize but I think what's done may very well be done.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 25, 2008, 07:17 AM

Threads merged. Please don't ask the same question in multiple forums in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phone has dial tone outside but inside not making or receiving calls [ 13 Answers ]

I have two phone lines. Line 1 is not working, line 2 is. When I left the house around 7pm both were working just fine. Got home around 10pm and line 1 had only static when I picked it up. It is also busy if anyone tries to call it so no incoming or outgoing calls. I tried disconnecting BOTH...

Can you be fired for having chron's disease? I am afraid I am going to be fired, [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked for a company for 18 years. I was diagnosed with Chron's Disease 5 years ago and sometimes I get really sick and have to be hospitilized and now they think I should be fired and it really gets me. Is that lawful?? :mad:

Making Credit card payments by phone [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know if this is the correct location for this (this is my first time posting), but hopefully someone can help me. I do the bookkeeping for a small medical practice. I handle all of the bill paying, purchasing etc. I went to pay a credit card statement by phone the other day, but...

View more questions Search