Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mechisopa1234 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Sep 13, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Emo Pernament Record
    Hi, I need some help.

Last year, I slit my wrist and this boy found out about it and told my homeroom teacher, he told my school councilor and she came and talked to me about it. I told her why I I did it and she was taking notes. I am worried about that being on my pernament record because I don't know if it will.

If it helps, my parents never found out about this, but my Mom saw the slit on my wrist one day and asked me what happened. I told her I scratched it on a hanger.

Please help me. I am really worried. I am also confused.

Thank - you.

Sincerely, mechisopa1234.
    IndustryMommy Posts: 26, Reputation: 7

Sep 13, 2008, 02:32 PM
    So long as it did not require hospitalization (which I am assuming it did not) and it was not on school property it will most likely not even make it to the records. Since it wasn't a serious suicide attempt, if it does make it in it will most likely go under "cutting" or "attention seeking" and will be overlooked. My brother had the same thing, only his was deep enough for stitches and it didn't make it in because it was not on school grounds and did not require impatient hospitalization
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IndustryMommy
    So long as it did not require hospitalization (which I am assuming it did not) and it was not on school property it will most likely not even make it to the records. Since it wasn't a serious suicide attempt, if it does make it in it will most likely go under "cutting" or "attention seeking" and will be overlooked. My brother had the same thing, only his was deep enough for stitches and it didn't make it in because it was not on school grounds and did not require impatient hospitalization

In NYS - don't know where the OP is - once the school counsellor has the info, particularly an interview with the person, it becomes part of the permanent record in the event there are other problems - the school and counsellor most definitely don't want to get sued.

Sep 13, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    In NYS - don't know where the OP is - once the school counsellor has the info, particularly an interview with the person, it becomes part of the permanent record in the event there are other problems - the school and counsellor most definitely don't want to get sued.

Wow really? That is terrible. I could understand if it was a genuine and sincere attempt but by the OP's own account, it was a scratch. If I lived in NYS and my kid was denied entry into a college due to that being in their record I would sue the school district since they are disclosing mental health records and unfounded diagnosis'/mental evaluations (which if it does not affect the school work is illegal under federal law). If the school was worried about not getting sued and is/was concerned enough to place it in a record, they would/should have alerted child protective services that something is/was not right with a student.
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Wow really? That is terrible. I could understand if it was a genuine and sincere attempt but by the OP's own account, it was a a scratch. If I lived in NYS and my kid was denied entry into a college due to that being in their record I would sue the school district since they are disclosing mental health records and unfounded diagnosis'/mental evaluations (which if it does not affect the school work is illegal under federal law). If the school was worried about not getting sued and is/was concerned enough to place it in a record, they would/should have alerted child protective services that something is/was not right with a student.

And I work on similar matters fairly frequently. What a child says or does becomes part of the permanent record.

I am surprised that the parents were not contacted and don't recall if the OP gave his age. Obviously if the child makes another attempt, particularly a successful attempt, the school district is on the line. The counsellor - at least in my eyes - LEGALLY should not have made the decision whether the "attempt" was or was not serious.

If my underage child slashes (and I don't know that this wasn't just a mark on a wrist) his/her wrist, I expect to be notified.

Sep 13, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    And I work on similar matters fairly frequently. What a child says or does becomes part of the permanent record.

I am surprised that the parents were not contacted and don't recall if the OP gave his age. Obviously if the child makes another attempt, particularly a successful attempt, the school district is on the line. The counsellor - at least in my eyes - LEGALLY should not have made the decision whether the "attempt" was or was not serious.

If my underage child slashes (and I don't know that this wasn't just a mark on a wrist) his/her wrist, I expect to be notified.
    I completely agree with you there. I have two boys and I would really be ticked if not notified. My original answer was under the assumption that the conselor deemed it attention seeking since the OP said that her mother did not know. I had assumed that if they thought it serious that they would have called the parents and the caseworkers immediately. I grew up in the foster system so I am pretty familiar with protocols, the way the OP described it none were followed hence my assumption it wouldn't be added. But I see what you're saying now. JudyKayTee- Thanks for checking me, I based my answer out of 18 years of foster care and not as a parent/ authority figure

OP I would suggest speaking with your mother as she is the only one is going to be able to get the school to tell you what is and is not in the record
    h0llister Posts: 335, Reputation: 15

Sep 13, 2008, 06:24 PM
    I'm pretty sure they wouldn't. But you can go to the consellor and ask to see your records
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2008, 07:13 PM
    I completely agree with you there. I have two boys and I would really be ticked if not notified. My original answer was under the assumption that the conselor deemed it attention seeking since the OP said that her mother did not know. I had assumed that if they thought it serious that they would have called the parents and the caseworkers immediatly. I grew up in the foster system so I am pretty familiar with protocols, the way the OP described it none were followed hence my assumption it wouldn't be added. But I see what you're saying now. JudyKayTee- Thanks for checking me, I based my answer out of 18 years of foster care and not as a parent/ authority figure

OP I would suggest speaking with your mother as she is the only one is going to be able to get the school to tell you what is and is not in the record

We're in agreement - even attention seeking slashing should be reported to the parents, in my eyes.

It would appear that OP is troubled to some degree - and I think perhaps the parents are clueless.
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2008, 08:12 AM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    mechisopa1234 agrees: it helped, but it didn't help!.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure - after thinking about this I think I'd go down to see the same counsellor, tell her your concerns, see what she has to say, what the privacy rules are, how seriously she took your earlier conversation, if the information was shared in any way.

You may very well be worried about nothing.

And you can always tell your Mom so if this does come out she'll have heard it from you first.
    Global warming Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 04:56 PM

Just if your OK my cousin lost his girlfriend by cutting herself so you can see what it can do to you.Just don't do it again
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Global warming View Post
    Just if your ok my cousin lost his girlfriend by cutting herself so you can see what it can do to you.Just don't do it again

I'm sorry to hear this - I really am. Hopefully the person who posted will come back and realize that this can be very, very serious.

Thank you for sharing -
    Rainbow0077 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 05:01 PM

Nahhh. They wouldn't, theyd be worried about you and probably tell your parents. I've been through the same thing. But telling your parents could help actually.even though even I haven't done that yet... good luck
    dumby Posts: 25, Reputation: 0

Mar 18, 2009, 02:00 PM

I would just overlook the whole situation, and plus having an emo personality is awsome!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I get a job with a record? [ 3 Answers ]

Hey is there any one that can tell me how can I get a new job with this old record haunting me? I have a high school diploma as well as 10 years in sales experience but, nobody will give me the opportunity to prove my skills and work ethic. I ask once again how can I get a new job with a old record...

I need to record [ 3 Answers ]

hi, im Ashley, i love singing and i want a website or program i can download to record my music, and singing, does anybody know anything that i could use to record with? :p

How do I record on my PC? [ 3 Answers ]

I want to record songs I made on this dj thing on the computer . What is the easiest way? I heard there was software called Hijacker or something I need help ahhhh Thank you

Not sure how to record in GJ [ 1 Answers ]

We purchased parts and the invoice was $151.02. My husband wrote the check for $151.07. How do I journalize this ?

View more questions Search